Check this out!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
Not that this a huge deal but its still pretty cool. I mentioned to my buddy that I bought a refractometer and he told me that his grandfather used to work for the USDA and had tons and tons of papers in his house leftover from work. Well, he passed away and I helped my friend clear out his granddads house and we came across this old paper.

Its a relationship between Brix and SG and grams of sucrose in solution. At the end, it also has a table that relates sugar added to solution and the accompanying volume increase. Pretty cool, I think.

The PDF is too large to host here so I took a few screenshots.
The last pic is volume increase: so for 100ml H2O, if you add 130g of sugar, the volume will increase roughly 81ml. You could extrapolate the data to use in brewing, for those of us who love math.
-Jefe-

polarimetry.jpg

polarimetry02.jpg

polarimetry03.jpg

polarimetry04.jpg

I just hope Uncle Sam doesnt pay me a visit asking me why I posted government documents on a beer website. Ha!

Is that 1942 on the date? They probably are now in the public domain anyway. Or you may have one of the only extant copies of it. Lot of government documents end up in the public domain, and some are sought by collectors. But just as easily departments who received them might have just as easily dumped them out when cleaning out old offices.

Yeah the report is dated from 1942 but the papers were stamped with an Oct 1974 date. Oh Im sure this report is public domain, it probably was then too. Nothing top secret about Brix and SG.
-Jefe-

at the risk of sound like an idiot....i cant find the attachment ability on PM...as you can see I dont PM too much. Sorry. If anyone wants it I can put together a CC for the attachment. Anyone with a better idea?

forcera...i sent it to you.
-Jefe-

I was just trying to recommend you contact people via PM and get their e-mail addresses that way vice everyone posting them all over a public forum.

Back