Can't wait to brew in the winter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I'm sure you northern brewers don't understand what I'm saying, but do you know how nice it will be to brew in something other than 105*F and 100% humidity.

Yep, this will be nice.

Yeah, I don't know what you are going to experience. I will be brewing when it is about 0 outside soon. Not really looking forward to it. :)

You better get yourself some strong ales to warm your frostbit body. I'll probably brew in shorts and a t-shirt in December.

I was just thinking about this on my last brew day. Come winter i am not going to be able to hose out the kegs and fermenting buckets in the back yard like i have been doing all summer. Gonna be kind of a PIA.

I guess wort chilling will be easy when i can just walk out in the backyard and stick the brew kettle in a snow bank rather then fiddling with the wort chiller.

hey, for us poor bast..rds in the south winter is not all that bad. cold yes,ice storms,yes. I feel for you in the upper latitudes when winter comes. but it kinda makes up for what we put up with in summer. and yes,winter means my I.C. will cool 12gal. to lager temps in the blink of an eye. this year has been a hot one for us. bring on the cold!

A nice thick pair of Carhartts, a cigar, and a friend to talk to makes winter brewing fun.

Who cares if it is 0 outside? The gas burner will keep you warm and the wort will chill down in record time.

Hardest part for me is finding a place to put the primary. My garage is detached and usually only kept at 45-50 degrees in the winter. May have to put a heating pad in there for the brew to sleep with. Either that or I will have to dabble with lagering.

hey, for us poor bast..rds in the south winter is not all that bad. cold yes,ice storms,yes. I feel for you in the upper latitudes when winter comes. but it kinda makes up for what we put up with in summer. and yes,winter means my I.C. will cool 12gal. to lager temps in the blink of an eye. this year has been a hot one for us. bring on the cold!

Keep on preachin brother.

A nice thick pair of Carhartts, a cigar, and a friend to talk to makes winter brewing fun.

Who cares if it is 0 outside? The gas burner will keep you warm and the wort will chill down in record time.

+1 to this ... i hate how much that thing kicks off in the summer, but in the winter its quite pleasant.

winter is the best brewing time, not as busy and the basement is perfect ferment temps so i am not resrticted by my ferm chamber that only holds two carboys

+1 on cold weather brewing. All you need is coveralls and a thermos of coffee.

Winter brewing is the best! I love looking at all of the neighbors peeking out their windows watching a lunatic in -5F standing in front of an enormous cloud of steam.

Winter coming up is making me wish I had a garage. -20C to -30C is okay as long as you are out of the wind but not having a garden hose is going to make clean-up interesting to say the least... I have yet to figure that one out but I am thinking rinse in the shower.

I'm sure you northern brewers don't understand what I'm saying, but do you know how nice it will be to brew in something other than 105*F and 100% humidity.

Yep, this will be nice.

I would take 105 F and 100% humidity any day than -20 below.
:eek:

I would take 105 F and 100% humidity any day than -20 below.
:eek:

Amen to that! I brewed a day last winter that had a "high" temp of -20.

Overall, I like winter brewing, though. I don't sweat. SWMBO hates it though...I do all my cleaning in the kitchen instead of the back porch with hose. I just tell her we need to heat the garage, install a big sink and we'll be good to go! She just hears "blah, blah, I want to spend money, blah blah."

Rambling....

Back