Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can the manifold be soldered onto the tap in the mash tun and stay there for good? :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Can the manifold be soldered onto the tap in the mash tun and stay there for good? :)

We have just made a manifold but my friend decided to solder the manifold with a piece of copper to the actual base of the tap. I can screw the tap off but the manifold is attached to the base of the tap and cant really be removed. I am wondering if this is okay in the long run. I can use water and chemipro (active oxigen) to clean and sanitize. So...I guess it should be okay. Do you guys agree?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Technically is *should* be fine as long as you can find a method of cleaning and sanitizing that does a good job.

But here is the very important part:

The mash tun is PRE boil, so your level of clean/sanitizing can be MUCH lower than that for POST boil equipment. I just run hose water through my manifold and rinse out the mash tun, wiping the sides with a washrag to wipe the stuff off. That's it.

So my opinion is, if you like the way it WORKS, then it's fine.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm with Homer on this one. An occasional rinse in star san and a good thorough rub a dub dub will be sufficient since it is on the unsterilized side of your system. Once the wort leaves there and gets boiled cleanliness becomes a cardinal issue. Where youre at in the process is not dangerous and should not risk contaminating your brew.

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just dump it then rinse it out with a hose most of the time. When it starts looking a bit crusty then I will hit it with some oxygen cleaner and a sponge.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post
I just dump it then rinse it out with a hose most of the time. When it starts looking a bit crusty then I will hit it with some oxygen cleaner and a sponge.
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "crusty"?

Quick Reply