Can local brewery fill my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Just a thought here. I have several great local breweries in my area that come out with great seasonal brews. Can i bring an empty korny keg to them and have them fill it? Would it stay good for a while? Anyone else ever done this?

Just a thought here. I have several great local breweries in my area that come out with great seasonal brews. Can i bring an empty korny keg to them and have them fill it? Would it stay good for a while? Anyone else ever done this?

Yes, many can and will do that for you. Of course, some won't- so just call and ask!

I have never done it but I wonder what the cost would be? Most breweries near me charge 10 bucks for a growler fill so multiply 10x and you are at 100 bucks for a keg. Even with some sort of discount I would imagine it would be at least 80 bucks. The bigger question is how long it would keep...? Of course you would have a sanitized keg but I would be worried about their filling procedures introducing oxygen(splashing).

I have had 2 filled by a local brewery, it is owned by a prior homebrewer and he sprayed with sanitizer, filled, and purged with co2. It was $52 and $55 if I remember correctly.

Several of our favorite local breweries used to do this but they stopped :(
Prices as I recall were similar to those for a 1/6 barrel of craft beer. I would think any brewery would be pushing and filling kegs with CO2, it'd be hard to transfer already carbonated beer any other way. You shouldn't have to worry about oxygenation.

Back