Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > but was it cask ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default but was it cask ale?

whoaaa, where'd my post go? 'Scuse me if you read this one before, hic. umm, anyways, trying again...

So, I just got back from my local micro (Trout River) and had their Rainbow Red ale which they have been serving as a "cask ale" recently. I asked the server last week if it was dispensed with CO2 and he did not know. I asked the same servere this week if it was served from the nitro tap as it was REALLY creamy, he said it was served fom the nitro tap but only used CO2?!

It was quite tasty, very creamy and smooth and much different from how it ussually tastes on tap or in bottles. Was it cask though? Unfortunately the server never seems to know much about the beers. I think I kind of annoy him with my questions actually. I'll pick the owner/brewers brain tommorrow at the VT brewfest. He is usually pretty willing to talk about his beers. Unfortunately he is not always there in the pub.

Any thoughts on cask ales and how to know if I got the "real thing". There are supposed to be a few other cask beers served at the brew fest I attending tomorrow. Since i have never had any, I can not say I would know any different.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i brewed a clone of this beer i love it! I bet this would be awsome cask conditioned. a little bit of a thread hijack but..... anyone know how to get close to cask conditioned in corny without a beer machine or whatever is used?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

well, I obviously am no expert on cask ales, but I will post whatever else I find out from the brewmeister tomorrow.

I like their rainbow red ale okay , but I have to say it was much more enjoyable in this "format" no matter what it was. I think Orfy cask conditions his brews in cornies. You might ask him. I think w/o a be
er engine you would need a way to set it up to serve with gravity.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 07-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

If you want to learn about cask ales start here
http://www.camra.org.uk/

Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
mblakely
Recipes 

We have a Cask Conditioned ale at my bar. We use a hand-pump beer engine, so it is neither powered Nito or CO2. It is also served at cellar temp, so it is a bit warmer than "normal" brews.

Cheers

Primary #1:Apricot Amber
Primary #2: Dry Hopped Amber
Secondary #1: Nothing
Secondary #2:Nothing
Bottles: Head Butt Pale Ale, Vanilla Cream Porter, IPA, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Aventinus Clone, English Brown
Planning: Peach plambic, Summer Shandy

Quick Reply