Bulk hops order... opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all mine. Mwuhahaha... My wife and I brew 20 gallon batches every 2 weeks and now I have a third fermenter so we can brew more.:D

No wonder your cat is drunk.

Centennial
Cascade
Magnum
Hallertau
EK Goldings

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They are all mine. Mwuhahaha... My wife and I brew 20 gallon batches every 2 weeks and now I have a third fermenter so we can brew more.:D

.......... And of course, you stop after reaching your 200 gallon limit after 20 weeks ......... because you are stocked up for the rest of the year!?!

Curious too... Love cascade btw

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

.......... And of course, you stop after reaching your 200 gallon limit after 20 weeks ......... because you are stocked up for the rest of the year!?!

Wondering the same thing myself...

Sent from my TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

I use the pump-n-seal with mason jars for storage. As mentioned, if you let the temperature swing, you can lose the seal, but it works great if you keep them frozen and it's really cheap.

Thanks for the tip, I had 5 bags of 1# hops, still sealed. I was wondering how to deal with them. Just bought the pump-n-seal.

My hop order from hops direct this year:
#1ea: Cascade, Centennial, Millenium, Armarillo, Calypso, Columbus, Citra

It is looking like I'm going to have to reorder some Cascade and Centennial as I have burned through 3/4's of them already.

I got lucky with my Armarillo, not picking up the grassy notes others have been complaining about. Haven't paid much attention to the Citra but don't remember noticing any garlic notes when I did a dry-hopped Bud Lite tasting experiment, and I am pretty sure I would have.

I am really liking the Calypso, when used as flavor additions I am getting really nice apple/pear notes (made a really nice addition to BM's Centennial Blonde, 0.5oz 5 minute addition added to the regular hop schedule) and also reportedly when used as a bittering hop it is a nice clean bitter, but the one IPA I brewed using it as a bittering hop so far oxidized so I can't confirm. :(

I was looking at hops direct but wondering if it's worth it after shipping? I guess if you order say 5 5# bags it might be? A 1# bag at my local shop of cascade for example is $14.45... Hops direct $12.20. I just got a grain mill and looking to start stocking up to create some cheap brews this summer. 50# bag of 2 row is $44 local.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

If the price is that close I would just buy from your LHBS. Even if you are paying a little bit more you help them stay in business, and having a LHBS can be very handy. Never know when you are going to need something ASAP on a brew day.

My local place doesn't sell bulk hops and at $2 an ounce I just couldn't justify not buying in bulk at the rate I use hops (some of my IPA's have over a pound in them). I figured out including the shipping my bulk hops order averaged $0.75 per oz.

Ya, that one is a good distance from me but I'm in the area a lot, family still lives there, so I'll be hitting it up for sure. I was paying $2/lb for grain at my local local shop (10 mins away), they have 50# for $50... not bad but $44 is better. Same with hops, 1lb of cascade is $20 at the local, $14.45 at the other. I am super cheap and have been investigating this for a while and just can't find anything to beat the local shops, even the 10 mins away one. Guess that's a good thing. BTW, the cheapest shop is within walking distance from LD Carlson so might have something to do with it.

I think Northern Brewer is a great mid-alpha hop. I use it a lot for bittering. It is worth a try.

A great hop and fundamental in Janet's Brown and Cali common beers.

I used it as a base bittering hop for nearly everything I brewed in the past year, IPA, Saison, Stout, American Amber etc. I have experimented with using it for aroma hops, but I like it less as an aroma hop.

Back