Broke tip of wine thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
So going to take an OG reading today, I didn't pull the wine thief completely out of the carboy and just caught the tip of it on the carboy neck and it broke into the beer. Is this going to be ok to drink? Will it just settle in all the trub? It didn't shatter the wine thief but just broke a tiny piece off the tip. I'm a little worried I won't be able to drink this batch. I would be so pissed!

I would wrap the end of your racking cane with a grain bag or cheese cloth to keep those little shards from getting in to your final product.

It should be fine assuming that you santized your thief before putting it into carboy. If you haven't red the thread 'what mistakes have you made and your beer turned out fine' thread I suggest you do. It will put your mind at ease.

Yeah I just don't want someone to drink the shard of glass and rip their stomach or intestines up, you know?

Just be very careful when you siphon off to a secondary/bottlebucket. Go with what Cheeto said about wrapping the end of your racking cane.

leave a little more beer on top of the trub than you would normally when siphoning if you are worried. the glass will settle at the bottom so dont siphon all the way down

That's what I figured. I'll do the grain bag method and leave a little more on top of the trub. Thanks for putting my mind at ease...

Back