Broke my first carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I have heard in the past people not liking glass on going to BBs or other options. Reasons sited was stories of dropping, breakage, etc. I thought hearing these stories, its simple don't "that" (whatever caused the CB to break).

I actually don't really use carboys very much now as I am fermenting in Sankes now. Somehow i now have amassed 10 carboys though, Bang! now 9.

I has brewed two 5 gallon batches a while back and had 2 carboys as well as a sanke to clean that I had left sitting with slury in the bottom. I started by heating up a couple of gallons to boiling. Added this to my carboy cleaner with some cleaning solution. I took the first carboy outside and rinsed it out with some water from the hose, which was closer to freezing than boiling. You see where I am going with this don't you. I placed the carboy on top of the cleaner and turned it on. I was bent over holding the carboy with my face inches away from it and I guess 2-3 seconds after turning on the carboy cleaner the carboy made a loud bang and pieces flew everywhere.

Most pieces were 1-2 feet away with some as far as 4 feet away. Fortunately I did not get any shards in my face or get cut (until I tried to clean up). I cleaned up the glass then ran the sanke through the cleaning process. For the next carboy I used hot faucet water to rinse it out before cleaning on the cleaner and it worked okay.

I took some photos will post them later.

Yikes! Thank god you're ok, especially with how violently it exploded. I've heard of people getting seriously injured.

That being said..... Dude. You should have known better. Glad your're ok, but dude. Seriously.

interesting, i haven't heard of one breaking that way yet. thanks for the info, glad you're ok.

Back