New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing a big beer (1.150) would like some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #31
diverpat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You sip it. After about a year or two or three of aging.
Besides the fun and experience of brewing it, the reason I did a big beer like this was too age it and watch/taste the changes over time. This one is not part of the pipeline, it gets set aside for several years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #32
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I could see how it would be fun trying it every couple of months but a big beer like that no matter how long you age it, you will have a lot of hot alcohol in there.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewdog Tokyo is 18% and delicious! I think oak aging really helps bigger beers mellow. Don't have to use so much oak it changes the flavour but just a little. Also... time helps. I've got a bottle of Tokyo nearly 2 years old, going to see if I can make it to 5.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #34
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This. Looks. Awesome.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Caramel-Cyser-Graff
5 Gal: ESB

Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
JLem
naturally selected

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverpat View Post
Besides the fun and experience of brewing it, the reason I did a big beer like this was too age it and watch/taste the changes over time. This one is not part of the pipeline, it gets set aside for several years.
I think you have inspired me to try brewing something like this at some point. Looks like you had a good plan and executed it well and the beer is coming out as expected. Always fun to have that happen. I've found that for me, a large part of the fun of homebrewing is coming up with a recipe and trying something different and seeing if it will work - which is why I currently have a beer made with local, wild yeast and another with 14% acid malt, wine yeast, Brett, and cranberries.

I hope you'll keep us all updated on this brew.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
diverpat

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just checked the SG, it is down to 1.021 and up to 17.5 abv. Target FG is 1.020 so things are looking good. I'm kind of stoked that I was able to get near, if not spot on, the FG. It was palatable on this sample. Earlier samples still had a lot of particulate matter floating around, mainly hops. It is starting to clear now.

One of the things I did learn in this is to filter the hops better post boil. I put the bittering hops in a bag and the rest straight in the wort. This stuff was so thick the hops didn't settle out during the 30 minute cool down after boil. Like insects in amber. It clogged my normal hops filtering colander in the first few ounces. I had to dump everything into the fermenter. If there is a next time, all hops will get filtered better. Now the surface of the carboy looks like the Gulf after BP had it's way with it, so much hops oil.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #37
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You sip it. After about a year or two or three of aging.
My 1.150 OG RIS was incredible from the fermenter, and is only getting better. Granted I am a bourbon drinker, the alcohol does not show itself much. My buddy was also surprised, said he only noticed it when it got to room temp.

Caught this thread late but it sounds like everything went/is going well with yours.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #38
gcastrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To make this scientific though, he should compare against a batch that was just fermented with rehydrated EC-1118.. seems like a lot of effort for batches. I wonder if it really helps to do all those things.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #39
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 135 Posts

If anyone is still following this thread, I am interested in the process of adding O2 well after fermentation begins. I am preparing a brew along these lines. Mine will have more sugar additions ala DFH120, but you don't seem concerned about oxidation. I was going to oxygenate the wort and the wlp099 starter, but once fermentation begins, I would be concerned about adding any more O2 to the fermenting beer.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #40
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
If anyone is still following this thread, I am interested in the process of adding O2 well after fermentation begins. I am preparing a brew along these lines. Mine will have more sugar additions ala DFH120, but you don't seem concerned about oxidation. I was going to oxygenate the wort and the wlp099 starter, but once fermentation begins, I would be concerned about adding any more O2 to the fermenting beer.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Don't add more O2 during fermentation. I think it encourages off flavors.

The book Yeast describes this clearly, but I don't remember it clearly. I think it was acetaldehyde / green apple taste.

Quick Reply