Brew store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ust311

Reaction score
What would you like to see a brew shop have or do? I just got a job at a brew store and want to make it the best out there!

Any time I go to my LHBS, I feel the staff is condescending. I realize that they may know more, but they answer questions like I'm a little kid. If I have an idea, (usually something I've read here), it is always a terrible idea.
Old-school thinking...
So...just don't be a dick:D

congrats on your new job.

my lhbs is already pretty good. i don't have any complaints.

the best thing they have is very nice, enthusiastic, brewers working there. they take good care of the customer, and make sure nothing is forgotten, and aren't pushy.

they also remember me the next time i come in.

Any time I go to my LHBS, I feel the staff is condescending. I realize that they may know more, but they answer questions like I'm a little kid. If I have an idea, (usually something I've read here), it is always a terrible idea.
Old-school thinking...

I get this from the local wine supply stores, which is all we have for storefronts here (this town). Total condescension...

namyarb3 said:
Old-school thinking...

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with that. I just brewed a partial mash and granted the recipe was a little outdated but they were talking to me like I didn't know anything and kept trying to sell me their extract with specialty grains recipe trying to tell me it was partial mash. They did get me my stuff enventually but it wasn't very good customer service. I wish there was another shop in my area.
So anyway good customer service is a must. As for something a little special maybe have DIY workshops or someone at the shop to give expert advice on your build.

I had one LHBS that treated me like an idiot, and I stopped using them completely. Ordered online and refused to go back there. Then I heard about a new shop, went out there, and they were incredibly nice. They walked me through adding a spigot to my kettle, even offered to drill the hole for me. The whole time I couldn't believe the difference. Ever since, they are guys that I can trust and go to as a resource. Never pushy, always patient, sharing beer and tricks.

It's enough were even though they are WAY (3 hour round trip on the subway) out of my way, that's where I go to get my supplies now.

Knowledge and personality can make the difference. I've spent easily over 1k there in under a year because of this.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far! I come from a retail background so we are going to try an incorporate a lot of that. Great people that love beer, not being to pushy but knowledgable enough to make sure you have everything you need and treat all customers with respect!

Please let me know more good and bad!

Thanks!

I agree with the above, be considerate of your customers. And be honest. If they ask specific questions out of your area of knowledge, help get them the answer if you can but dont skirt around the question.
When they ask what a good beer is, keep in mind individual taste is, well, individual. No beer is "always better" than another for everyone.

[...]they also remember me the next time i come in.

Imo, that's really important.

I make it a point of introducing myself to any new employee at my favorite LHBS, and then greet that person by their chosen name upon each subsequent visit. If they aren't busy with another customer or the internet business orders I'll always spend at least a few minutes chatting before making my rounds.

In my experience this quickly establishes a heightened level of trust and comfort that is beneficial to both sides of the retail relationship...

Cheers!

Customer service is far and away a small homebrew shops best bet at staying alive and thriving. It is hard to compete perfectly on price if you are buying 10 of something when a mail order shop is ordering a 100 from a supplier.

Nothing sums it up better than the following quote by none other than Gandhi.

A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work - he is the purpose of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to serve him.

Always make time for your customer and make sure to treat them like the most important thing you have going on. It's a lot cheaper to maintain a loyal customer than it is to create one.

enthusiasm to help without arrogance, recognition, and a friendly smile can go a long way. I've been going to Okoboji Brewing Company from time to time and always had great service there. same with NB stores and Pour Brothers in Gillette, WY.

I never did this but one of the things my lhbs has is brew on premises and you can do parties and such there. I would imagine it gets them some new customers

I think there are two threads like this right now. Two new homebrew employees. Two guys that are enthusiastic enough to spend time places like this.
That alone is a good start.
Like everyone says, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable is the key.
Everybody who comes through the door of any small business needs to feel like they are the most important person that has ever been through the door.

As soon as you walk through the door of my LHBS you are greeted with a friendly hello and a " what are we drinking today?". They usually have about 5 or 6 beers on tap and a few wines. You get to sample some homebrew while you shop. Can't beat that!

brew2enjoy said:
As soon as you walk through the door of my LHBS you are greeted with a friendly hello and a " what are we drinking today?". They usually have about 5 or 6 beers on tap and a few wines. You get to sample some homebrew while you shop. Can't beat that!

I wonder what kind of liqueur license you would have to have to pull this off...I was think the exact same thing. Maybe a tap room!

I wonder what kind of liqueur license you would have to have to pull this off...I was think the exact same thing. Maybe a tap room!

Not sure you would need any type of license. It's just small free sample's. Now if you were selling drinks that's a whole different story..

Keep your inventory on the storefront computer. Often times on a busy day, what I want isn't in stock in the display fridgs. (Hops/yeast) But when I ask, they often have it in back.

So be quick to re-fill shelves on those busy days. Makes sense that the storefront fridges sell out quickly since there is such a wide variety you need to have. But also let people know with a sign or something that they should ask if they can't find something. I've been very happy with the LHBS when I've asked, and in 5 seconds they have an answer. If its yes, I get it in about 1 minutes.

Organization and cleanliness is important, especially with grain/hops. I've been to some shops where the British 2 row (for example) is still in a sack under the table the mill's mounted on, it's so frustrating to find the grain you need. My local shop has everything nicely labeled in tupperware containers, very clean, very organized (Belgian malts here, continental malts here, smoked malts there, etc.).

If you can't keep your business neat and clean, it says a lot about your priorities.

Back