Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew on premises?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #21
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrey
Where in Cleveland, anytime I can hang out with other been enthusiast WHILE drinking beer sounds like a good time.
Great Lakes Brewing Company is located in Cleveland and has an incredible brewpub, and offers private tours of their brewery (no BOP though).

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com

There is a BOP in Strongsville. I can't think of the name of it ATM, but a friend of mine did a brew there a few years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #22
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My LHBS is also a wine/beer BOP.

It seems they can be a VERY sustainable business if you're also selling supplies as well as keeping them on hand for your BOP customers.

http://www.flyingbarrel.com/

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #23
BadKarmaa

Recipes 

We have one here in Albuquerque New Mexico (yes that is still in the US) called Kelly's Brewpub. It's right next to the University so business is always booming. Although I never did BOP myself, I did work there for a while. We had 8 15 gal steam kettles so we were able to brew 19 different styles.

Although it was all extract and partial mash, the beer was pretty %$@#, good save the extract twang (<-----AG snob). Customers could come in a day or two after setting an appointment and brew any of the 19 styles. Kelly's lets them measure out hops, grain, extract and watch the kettle. Two weeks later they come back and bottle it, or we keg it if they have their own keg.

Unfortunately most of the customers are only interested in saving some money for 15 gal batch of beer and not the brewing itself. I often found myself rambling about the history behind various styles and brewing techniques only to watch their eyes glaze over as they lifted a pint glass to their lips.

Nevertheless, Kelly's has a very profitable business model. Even though the food is only mediocre at best, the atmosphere, location, extremely large patio, and good beer make it the place to be for college students and older folk the like, any day/night of the week.

The only downside is capacity. Over the summer, it becomes very hard to keep up with 19 different styles and the BOP side of the bizz with only eight 15 gal steam kettles to run it all.

But hey! Since when is too much business a bad thing?

Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live. -- Socrates

Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Where in Cleveland, anytime I can hang out with other been enthusiast WHILE drinking beer sounds like a good time.
The Brew Kettle
I havn't been there myself but have heard good things about them.
Great Lakes is also a excellent brewpub and microbrewery which I'm sure you know about. Much better beers in my opinion than Rock Bottom or the Chophouse (the other BrewPubs downtown). Out east the Willoughby Brewing Company has excellent beers and food.

Craig

Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot
we have one here in mn
http://www.vinepark.com/ not a bad deal to, you can do wine or beer
I had heard there was on of these in MN. I may have to swing by there just to see what kind of setup they have. After checking their prices on the site, I think I'll be sticking to brewing at home though.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderearl
We have one here in Washington state located in a city called Edmonds (17mi N of Seattle). I have walked by the shop but never gone in, I spoke to our licensing board and they said they operate under a microbrew lic. I never thought I would go to one but I like the idea of brewing large batches for special events that was just posted.
Gallaghers? http://www.whereubrew.com/

I brewed there once. I was already an established hb'er but thought it looked cool and was in the process of writing a business plan to open my own and just wanted to see one operate. Cool little business. I would (and proposed to) make it about 30% of a HBS / pub business. I unfortunately ended up moving to CT before I could get started and we have more blue laws in New England than we know what to do with and alas, BOP is illegal here. Things are changing though so who knows what the future holds. I am currently working on a mobile brewing business model where me and my gear come to you and walk you through the brewing process leaving the customer with finished product and the option of buying the gear used. I am bound a determined to make a living off beer without opening a restaurant!
Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #27
Lost Pirate
Recipes 

Quote:
As Craig said there's the Brew Kettle in Strongsville and there is also the Brew Keeper located in North Ridgeville.

http://www.brewkeeper.com

Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #28
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My LBHS does onsite but only for wine. They do host events for brewers a couple of times a year - basically a big parking lot party with the hardcore local brewers bringing out their portable rigs to brew on site.

Quick Reply