Bourbon Vanilla Porter BJCP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I am getting ready to enter my robust porter with oak chips, vanilla and bourbon done in secondary. What category should I enter this under? I would think 12b ??

thanks for input.

I am getting ready to enter my robust porter with oak chips, vanilla and bourbon done in secondary. What category should I enter this under? I would think 12b ??

thanks for input.

Have seen 21A (spice) and 23A (specialty) before...will depend how prominent the vanilla flavor is.

I don't think you want it in regular Robust Porter 12B due to the vanilla/bourbon.

If you want the best chance to place, I think 21A will be a little less competitive? If you just want feedback either is OK?

Maybe someone with more comp experience can chime in...

It really depends how prominent the three elements are (vanilla, oak, bourbon). If you get more vanilla than anything 21a. If the oak and bourbon are more dominant, 22c. If you don't get any of the oak and it is mostly bourbon and vanilla, I'd see if more in 23. However, if all three of these are just "background notes" and barely perceptible, then you can still enter it in the base cat of 12b.

Go for 23. If any flavors other than what the other categories call for are present, and they likely are, it will throw it out of style for those categories. Trust me....

like has been said, depends on the prominence of the additives. If you get vanilla + either/both of the others, then 23 as it would be a combination of categories. if vanilla is very low, then 22C maybe (oak contains vanillin so a lil bit wouldn't be out of the question). 21A may work whether you can taste beyond the vanilla too (I've placed twice with a milk stout with cocoa, vanilla, bourbon, & oak). even low amounts would be an 'off-flavor', so if you can't taste any of the 3 at all, then you can do 12B

Back