Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle Prep

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
AirBronto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle Prep

I was wondering what you guys use to remove bottle labels. I used 2 oz of bleach for 5 gallons of water last time and it removed the label for the most part but the glue was still on some, maby i should of added more bleach. So what do you guys use and where can one find it.

Also I dont know about you guys but I find that bottle prep is a very stressful activity. Always worried about sanitation. I usually wash them, put them in iodine stuff, then rinse with water, i am scared of rinsing too, and then lay tiped over on a towel. But who has time to do all of that and then bottle right after? I usually do this then go do my work then get back to it later in the day. I am always worried about them getting stuff on them from the air so I usually place a clean towel over them. * So my other question is how do you guys do bottle prep and how stressed to you get over it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Soak them in oxy clean, takes the labels and all glue right off. No scrubbing needed either. I rinse them before storing them.

As for bottle prep. Since the bottle is already clean, all I do is fill a bucket with sanitizer and put as many bottles as I can in it. Let it sit for a minute and then drain and fill. I do one bottle at a time. This works well for me.

You do not need to rinse the sanitizer off the bottles....you are basically negating the sanitizer by doing this. Your sanitizer will not hurt the beer. And just to be sure, what kind of sanitizer are you using?

Last edited by TheMan; 02-10-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBronto View Post
I was wondering what you guys use to remove bottle labels. I used 2 oz of bleach for 5 gallons of water last time and it removed the label for the most part but the glue was still on some, maby i should of added more bleach. So what do you guys use and where can one find it.

Also I dont know about you guys but I find that bottle prep is a very stressful activity. Always worried about sanitation. I usually wash them, put them in iodine stuff, then rinse with water, i am scared of rinsing too, and then lay tiped over on a towel. But who has time to do all of that and then bottle right after? I usually do this then go do my work then get back to it later in the day. I am always worried about them getting stuff on them from the air so I usually place a clean towel over them. * So my other question is how do you guys do bottle prep and how stressed to you get over it.
I use ammonia and warm water over night to soak.Try using your dishwasher
to finish washing with hot water.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
AirBronto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is the oxy clean to water ratio you use. Also what form of oxy clean do you use, the powdered stuff? Thanks ALOT for your reply.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Reddheadedstepchild
Recipes 

Me personally, I use baking soda and water to remove labels and it works pretty good. As far as sanitation goes I wash bottles in the dish washer on the crystal setting. Then I allow them to dry, or realy I let the heated dry of the washer do it. then I rip up a bunch of 1x1 squares of tin foil wich i soak in star san and then use to cap the freshly washed and dryed bottles. Thats how I prep for storage. when bottleing day comes i give each one a qwick bath in starsan and fill and cap.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Oxyclean and hot water in an overnight soak gets rid of 90 percent of the labels I've come across...and the other 10 percent just take longer.

All you need to do is fill a rbbermade bin with a couple scoops of oxyclen, and hot water, and drop your bottles in.

If you are getting stressed out about any aspect of this hobby, you are doing something wrong. This is NOTHING you need to stress out about...It's a hobby afterall, and it's really hard to ruin your beer.

It may appear that there's a ton of infection threads, BUT if you actually read the content of the threads, and not just the title, you will realize that there's not a lot of actual infections, just a bunch of scared new brewers who don't realize how ugly fermentation can actually be.

Just like you, I bet, they think that their beer is a lot weaker than it truly is. Just the opposite, it is really really hard to get an infection.

And infections RARELY happen to the new brewers who are so paranoid that they think the mere looking at their fermenters will induce an infection.

Most of the time on here the beer in question is not infected. It's just a nervous new brewer, who THINKS something is wrong when in reality they are just unused to the ugliness that beer making often is.

It creates sort of like the hypochodria that med students often get when they start learning about illness, they start to "feel" it in themselves.

There is a lot of info here on "infections" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-...p-batch-96644/

This is one of the best posts on the subject....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
If you pitch enough viable, healthy yeast to do their job, it's hard to contaminate your brew to the point it isn't drinkable. Trust me, I've had an infection in my brewery, and I had to work really hard to get it! In my case, it was on the fourth generation of re-using yeast which I had not washed properly (I was still a n00b back then). Every time you reuse yeast you are growing the level of contamination by 100-1000x, so I learned the hard way you have to be very careful going beyond 1 or 2 re-uses of yeast.

BUT A new brewer following sanitary procedures using new equipment is very unlikely to have ruined beer. The worst thing that may happen is your beer will go sour after 4-6 months of room temperature storage. I doubt your beer will last that long.
You'll find that since beer has been made for millenia even before anyone understood germ theory, that even just the basic fact that we have indoor water, clean our living spaces and ourselves regularly and have closed waste systems, and a roof over our heads, that we are lightyears ahead of our ancestor brewers.

And despite the doomsayers who say that ancient beer was consumed young because it would go bad, they forget the fact that most of those beers were usually HOPLESS, and that the biggest reason hops were placed in beers was for it's antisceptic/preservative function.

So even if the beer had to be consumed young, it still must have tasted good enough to those folks most of the time to survive culturally for 4,000 years, and not go the way of pepsi clear or new coke. I'm sure even a few hundred or thousands of years ago, people were discerning enough to know if something tasted good or nasty...

Go take a look at my photo walkthrough of Labatt's first "pioneer" brewery from the 1840's http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/laba...rewery-128740/

Wood fermenters, open cooling pans, open doors, cracks in the logs and beams letting air in, and not one bottle of starsan in sight.

The way I figure even just having some soap and water, basic 21st century hygiene, and a basic understanding of germ theory trumps how it was done from Gilgamesh's time through Louis Pasteure's....

In most places we don't have to even worry about boiling our water before drinking it.

Best advice I have for new brewers, If you brew from fear, you won't make great beer!

You might make drinkable beer, or you might make crap...but until your realize that your beer is much hardier than you think it is, you will find that this is much more enjoyable of a hobby.

But infection worry, It is NOT something we have to freak out about, like new brewers do...It's just something to be AWARE of and keep an eye out.

But it's kinda like when you have a brand new car, you park at the far end of the lot away from everyone else, you are paranoid about getting every little scratch on it...Then you are backing out of the garage and take off a mirror, or get a ding on the bumper, then you no-longer stress out about it, because you've popped the cars cherry...If you do pick up a bug, you just treat it and move on.

And the reason I have collected THESE stories is to counter the fear and fear mongering that often happens.

So rather than looking for infections under every bed or in every brew closet, focussing from fear on the negative, I think it's better to look at examples of just how hard it is to screw up our beer, how no matter what we can do to screw up, it still manages to turn out fine.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

And there is a cushion of co2 protecting your beer, so unless you or a bird take a crap in your fermenter, opening it up to take hydrometer readings will not lead you to automatically have infections...

Now as to bottling, read this, I outline my process here, and it take me about 45 minutes to bottle and that includes sanitizing them (it's really better to sanitize them right away, since with a no-rinse wet contact sanitizer you want to put beer on top of sanitized wet glass.)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

Just relax about infections and everything else, and just enjoy brewing. Because if you are stressing about any aspect of this HOBBY, then you are working too hard!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

tbrink Likes This 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use oxi clean FREE, the one with the green lid. 3/4 scoop to 5 gallons of water.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
AirBronto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks alot for all of your resposes. Guys. I think i am going to use oxy clean.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Reddheadedstepchild
Recipes 

I like the bulk prepping before hand. It keeps bottleing days more fun and less time consumeing. Plus bulk prepping gives you another day working towards beer stuff as well as a reason to have a home brew or 2.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use Oxyclean Free. 3 oz. in 5 gallons of water. I just keep an old Ale Pail full of Oxyclean solution in the kitchen and dunk my empties in there whenever I have a beer. When the bucket is full I give them a quick rinse, let them dry and store them away ready for bottling day.

Quick Reply