boil dipstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cpvc in boiling wort??? That stuff melts at 212'F.

I'd love to see you demonstrate that. Who knows, you might just have a future as a magician! :D

CPVC melting point 212 °C (413F).

It's glass temperature is more relevant to brewing. You don't want to exceed ~225F with CPVC pipe. Below that, it is perfectly safe and stable in low pressure homebrewing rigs.

AHHHHH!!!! C's and F's all look the same at the end of the day lol, thanks for the figure check!

I use an aluminum dowel rod I got at Lowe's and I marked it in .5 gallon increments with a hack saw. I put a "nick" in the rod at the .5 gallon marks and then went around the entire dowel rod for the gallon marks. I actually used a 2 quart pitcher to get my measurements. I added 2 quarts of water, dunked a wooden yard stick in the water as the water and wood combined well to get a measurement. I then transferred that to the dowel rod.

I used a piece of aluminum angle from Home Depot. Marked it with the engraving tool for a dremel. Nice thing about the angle is that it has enough sides for all your pots, carboys, etc..

what is safe to mark volume lines with? Will a sharpie come off in the boiling wort? tape?

Knife.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

I used an oak dowel. I used a dremel with a cutting blade to make the level marks and a Sharpie for the numbers.

FamilyBrewday2009011.jpg

Latest posts

Back