Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BJCP Guidelines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Iniquity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BJCP Guidelines

Hello Folks,

My buddy and I are about to enter our first homebrew contest and I've been wondering about something. Does it matter what region the ingredients are from as long as everything else meets the guidelines? So for instance if I am brewing and APA would it matter if I tossed some munich in there?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Not at all. Loads of APAs use munich.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Judges in competition do not have access to your receipe sheet during the judging of the competition. The only information they have about your beer is the style that it is entered in and a copy of the BJCP guidelines for that style. They will get information regarding "speciality" ingredients if it is in a category where that is indicated, ie 16E, 23, etc. What matters most from a competition perspective is how the beer tastes, not what is in it. If it tastes like an APA, enter it as an APA irrespective of whether you used Munich, or even if you used non-american hops.

Quick Reply