Bitter commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
Greetings HBT!

I have a small beer fridge in my basement and have noticed recently that my beer is tasting gradually more bitter. I'm a big fan of IPAs and bitter beer, but this is different. Even some of the Wheats, Nut Browns, and sweeter beers are beginning to taste bitter....kindof like a fountain drink with too much soda water.

I've had this fridge set up for quite some time and the basement is pretty temperature-stable. So I'm at a loss as to whats going on.

Any thoughts??:confused:

Maybe you're having a reverse lupulin shift? :D Your analogy to soda water makes me think of carbonic bite, but I would think most commercial breweries do not have overcarbing problems with their beer. Perhaps it's something temperature related?

Would a fridge that's too cold cause this? The cooling element has a good buildup of ice on it and needs to be defrosted.

Would a fridge that's too cold cause this? The cooling element has a good buildup of ice on it and needs to be defrosted.

I find drinking beer at too cold a temperature accentuates the bitterness and not much else. Do you let your bottles warm up a bit before you drink them? If not you should give that a try and see if that helps improve the flavor.

I turned my fridge a couple degrees higher and it seems to have cleared up. Frost is gone too!

Thanks for the support!

Latest posts

Back