BIAB with a plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a Duda Diesel plate chiller but got to thinking BIAB produces alot more "gunk" for a better word.. I am wondering if a plate chiller would be a good idea or not. I do use whole hopes in hop sacks so I am not worried about hop materials..

Before I ordered I though I would double check what others think..

Now to decide if I want to get garden hose fittings or all NPT and convert to GHT until I get a real brewing room setup..

I do BIAB and use a Duda Diesel plate chiller, it works great. I use leaf and pellet hops in a 300 micron screen hop spider. The only time I had any problem was when I was recirculating through the chiller at the end of the boil to lower the temp for whirlpooling some late addition hops. Solved that problem by filtering (using a hop/grain bag) the wort that was being pumped back into the kettle. I also started clamping a stainless steel "brillo pad/scrubbie" to my pickup tube which ended up catching a fair amount of gunk as well. I don't know if those are the best solutions but they've worked effectively enough.

Cheers.

Back