Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgian beers, why do I not care for them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
HanzerBiscuit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just realized the last three beers I brewed were "Belgian". Patersbier, golden strong, and wit.

Im pretty sure everyone could find at least one of those drinkable

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #22
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Every time I give a friend a Belgian, I always get a shrug with the old...."meh, just not a fan of Belgians." But by the end of the first pint they're ready for more.

I chalk it up to being an acquired taste.try a nice saison.....great divide makes a good one.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
That bite is likely alcohol.

While I do like some belgians I am generally not a fan of beers that are mainly flavored by their yeast (Hefe's, Saisons, ect.) I drink beer for the malt and the hops...I only invite the yeast to the party to eat some of the sugar and create the alcohol. With that being said, some complimentary esters that play a supporting role to hops or malt I really like. In line with that I use WLP007 with a lot of my west coast style IPAs.
I couldn't agree more. For me it is all about the Hops and Malt. Maybe as I get older I will venture out and become a Belgian drinker. I always give it a try now and then it's just not for me.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #24
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockspeed31 View Post
Ok, I have tried a few different Belgian brews and can not get over the sharp sweet bite that they have, if that is a proper description. I tried a Homebrew Triple, a New Belgian Tripple, a Delirium Tremens and a Delirium Noel and they all have that "bite" to them that I just can't get over. I drink a large variety of beers and this style just doesn't suit me.

What is this taste/bite that I am tasting in these beers.

Thanks
One of my favorite beer is the Trappist ale Chimay Red (dubbel) ... I have studied and researched them extensively (I have drank many of them). I would recommend to anyone.

The bite is probably ale that is too strong. I generally avoid ale that is 9% ABV and above.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's the one style I got talked into brewing.
My Belgian drinking friends think it's great....I don't care for it.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #26
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I am not a fan - I want to be, but I haven't tried one that I liked, yet. The yeast taste makes me think "green" beer that is not ready, like the homebrew my college roommate made when homebrewing first became legal again 30 or so years ago.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #27
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockspeed31 View Post
Ok, I have tried a few different Belgian brews and can not get over the sharp sweet bite that they have, if that is a proper description. I tried a Homebrew Triple, a New Belgian Tripple, a Delirium Tremens and a Delirium Noel and they all have that "bite" to them that I just can't get over. I drink a large variety of beers and this style just doesn't suit me.

What is this taste/bite that I am tasting in these beers.

Thanks
Personally, I really love most Belgian ales. Chimay white - a tripel, is possibly my ultimate fave, Duvel - a strong golden ale, Orval - a kind of all rounder, the various bottles I've tried from Rochefort, Westmalle and a few others.

I'm just wondering, as I've heard this from one of my mates before who can't stand Belgian beers, if maybe it's the high level of carbonation that might be most prominent in your tasting of the "sharp bite". I find that it helps balance the sweetness of some of those beers to a certain extent. I have to admit though, I do find that I get a slightly more pronounced hangover the day after having a Belgian brew or two in the mix.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #28
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

If the beers are too cold, they suck. New Belgiums Trippel is a great example of this. Very very peppery and assy when cold (<40f). Let it warm up to maybe 50-55f and its sex in a glass.

Proper glassware is essential. Don't ask why, but it really does make a difference.

Not fond of the strong dark ales like Rochefort 10 at all. Duvel, on the other hand, is the most perfect beer in human history.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #29
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldDuck View Post
I am not a fan - I want to be, but I haven't tried one that I liked, yet. The yeast taste makes me think "green" beer that is not ready, like the homebrew my college roommate made when homebrewing first became legal again 30 or so years ago.
Rest assured its not green, its been brewing basically the same way with the same yeasts for thousands of years Pretty cool being able to taste history if you ask me.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #30
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
One of my favorite beer is the Trappist ale Chimay Red (dubbel) ... I have studied and researched them extensively (I have drank many of them). I would recommend to anyone.

The bite is probably ale that is too strong. I generally avoid ale that is 9% ABV and above.
Ah, my friend, you haven't tasted my quad. 11% ABV and no bite whatsoever.

I agree, Chimay Red is my favorite commercial dubbel. When you become well-versed in brewing this style, you will see that you can brew a dubbel as good or better than Chimay. The problem is that these beers are among some of the most difficult to brew, from recipe formulation to fermentation.

My two favorite brewing styles are Trappist-style ales, and hoppy American beers. They are not mutually exclusive.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

iambeer Likes This 

Quick Reply