New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > beer in America vs. else where

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default beer in America vs. else where

why is the beer here in America so sub par in comparsion to Europe??? I have at least 20 friends who have said that once you go to Germany, Austira, Belgium or Estonia you'll never want to drink American beer again. I have one friend over in Estonia and Germany right now who HATES beer. I've given him every craft brew under the sun to try and convert him but he loathes it. He goes over to Germany and Estonia only to not be able to drink ENOUGH beer. His exact words are "American beer tastes like crap, this stuff is like crack". What's so different?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Might depend on what beer they are trying in the U.S., I suppose. If they are talking about Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, they might have a point. American craft beers can stand up to the best of those countries, though.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Might depend on what beer they are trying in the U.S., I suppose. If they are talking about Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, they might have a point. American craft beers can stand up to the best of those countries, though.
naw, I'm talking about goood craft brews like Pliny the elder, Anderson valley breweries, Hofe brau hefeweizens etc.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

The primary reason is the bulk produced American light adjunct (corn/rice) Lager.

The secondary reason is that the American Craft brew industry has done its best to brew something completely unlike an American light adjunct lager, Often going to extremes with hops and gravity without thinking about balance or trying to reproduce classic English/European styles and methods. Just focusing on "not" brewing an American light Adjunct Lager. or "topping" an American light Adjunct Lager.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
why is the beer here in America so sub par in comparsion to Europe???
It's not....so much anymore (IMHO). My advice is to do some traveling and come to your own conclusion related to the subject, rather than accept the opinion of others as true or not.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
It's not....so much anymore (IMHO). My advice is to do some traveling and come to your own conclusion related to the subject, rather than accept the opinion of others as true or not.
oh I agree. I was just wondering why people who went over seas pretty much UNANIMOUSLY agree on the subject. heck even my buddy who hates beer hasn't been able to stop drinking beer in Germany since he got there. statistically I was just wondering what the reason for the discrepancy of beer here vs. there.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
why is the beer here in America so sub par in comparsion to Europe??? I have at least 20 friends who have said that once you go to Germany, Austira, Belgium or Estonia you'll never want to drink American beer again. I have one friend over in Estonia and Germany right now who HATES beer. I've given him every craft brew under the sun to try and convert him but he loathes it. He goes over to Germany and Estonia only to not be able to drink ENOUGH beer. His exact words are "American beer tastes like crap, this stuff is like crack". What's so different?
Nothing more than old-fashioned, 1950's thinking.

I've lived in England and traveled extensively around Germany, Austria, and Belgium. No doubt, they make some pretty damn good beer over there - I'd never deny that.

However, this notion that American can't make good beer is just stupid. The craft brewing explosion in the past 20 years proves that. Unfortunately, American beer has been defined by the BMC crowd. It's going to take a few more years for the beer industry in America to redefine itself in the eyes of Eurobeersnobs. Too bad - it's really their loss.

FWIW, I've drunk some pretty nasty brews in Europe. It's not like they have a Magical Beer Unicorn that flies around turning piss-water in to World Class Ale.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
sethcros
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
Nothing more than old-fashioned, 1950's thinking.

I've lived in England and traveled extensively around Germany, Austria, and Belgium. No doubt, they make some pretty damn good beer over there - I'd never deny that.

However, this notion that American can't make good beer is just stupid. The craft brewing explosion in the past 20 years proves that. Unfortunately, American beer has been defined by the BMC crowd. It's going to take a few more years for the beer industry in America to redefine itself in the eyes of Eurobeersnobs. Too bad - it's really their loss.

FWIW, I've drunk some pretty nasty brews in Europe. It's not like they have a Magical Beer Unicorn that flies around turning piss-water in to World Class Ale.
I dunno man. I think I've drunk enough at times while there to see a unicorn...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethcros View Post
I dunno man. I think I've drunk enough at times while there to see a unicorn...
I think you may have seen it in Amsterdam... and it wasn't summoned by the beer.

Oh man... now I've having flashbacks to a weekend in Wales. I followed a Welsh friend to some rural, outdoor beer festival. They had one concoction that tasted like someone had tossed a live sheep in the fermenter. I got down about half the pint before my liver staged a full-scale rebellion, and the left side of my brain got on the train back to Canterbury without me.

Ugh.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

I've been all over western Europe, consumed pub brews in any local that would have me, and my take is it's pretty much the same hit/miss rate Over There as Over Here in our brew pubs. There are great beers, and there are "Meh" beers.

So, I'll have to go with Occam's Razor on this one: your friends are all simply @sshats that hate America.

hth

Cheers

Quick Reply