Austin Homebrew: Hop Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
So, as of late I have been trying to budget my financials better and realized that I had been spending quite a bit of money in brewing. Now I am trying to find a simple brew that is inexpensive. I prefer higher IBU beers (IIPA, ESB, etc... Although I know that explain action is unneeded). I seen this "hop dust" at Austin brew house and though now there is a way to vary my beer as well as cut cost, and also add an element of surprise; but would I need more, ounce wise, then doing simple pellet hops?

Has anyone used this yet? If so how'd it come out?

I'm not sure but hop dust seems like a long shot to get consistent results. Have you checked farmhousebrewing for some cheap hops? I don't see why you would need more ounces of hop dust vs. pellet hops, because pellets basically dissolve into particles in the boil anyways.

I wouldn't use hop dust for brewing. maybe some other creative use for hops like food or something... but definitely not brewing. at the very minimum you'd want to know the AA%. Nevermind the random mess you'd get in flavor and aroma.

if you're a hophead and want to save money, buy by the pound, like bradleybrew suggested.

I like the idea of having a random hop mess with every batch. I thought about purchasing in bulk, but finding a place to store everything before it goes bad is my concern there

If you wanna use it in a really hoppy beer, I'd use it for additions less than 10min. That way the IBUs contributed won't be so high and you can use a known AA hop for bittering.

I like the idea of having a random hop mess with every batch. I thought about purchasing in bulk, but finding a place to store everything before it goes bad is my concern there

You can't find space in your freezer for a pound or two of hops? Buy a clean bittering hop in bulk to supplement your flavor and aroma hops.

Yeah, just buy a pound or two of hops in bulk and stick them in the freezer. I'm sure you have some random crap in your freezer that's been there for a couple of years that you're not even sure what it is taking up the same amount of space.

Funny this thread should pop up about AHS hop dust, I was just talking about it last club meeting... I actually want to do a complete chaos brew. My plan is to get the home brew club involved and have 8-10 members show up with 1.5-2# of base malt (what ever they want to use) and between 1/4 - 1/2 oz of pelleted hops. Then mix in some hop dust and do a continuos hopped Pale ale style boil. While I can not say we will have a specific beer and it will never be able to be replicated again, I think it would be a fun club activity.

What if the hop dust ends up being ~5% AA? That's a big difference in bitterness.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Knowing the AA percentage is absolutely critical for a bittering addition. Too high or too low and you end up with a beer that is over bittered or cloyingly sweet.

I understand not knowing the AA of the hops, and the fact that you could have one extreme or the other; but I am still tempted to do a beer with say 6-7 oz of dust and see what happens. I figure if you keep the grain base basic and keep the conditions right to accent the hops it would be a fun mystery brew.

I brew beer because I like all beer, although I prefer higher IBU beers, so I cannot see this ending undrinkable. Plus with that amount even at 4% AA it'll be hoppy, on the other hand if it hits 10 well then it'll be REALLY hoppy; and I am fine with that as well :)

I brewed a stout and got better efficiency than I thought I would, so I added an oz of hop dust with the 6 oz of nugget that I had planned. It worked out pretty well.

Back