Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone use the tap a draft system?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone use the tap a draft system?

pros? cons?

why only 3 oz priming sugar?

also if making 5.5-6 gallon batches, can you bottle the leftovers?

in other words, do you still use a bottling bucket to prime the beer and then fill the kegs, allowing the leftovers to be bottled? I hate to waste beer and my batches are usually over 5 gallons (brewmaster warehouse recipes)

thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i used the TAD for a few months during my transition from bottling to kegging. I liked it a lot. very easy to use, and beer on tap in your own fridge. plus, you can do stout pours with nitrogen canisters, which rocks.

i carbonated by adding sugar directly to each TAD bottle, and then filled extra bottles and used munton's carbonation tabs in those.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Beernewb
Recipes 

thx for the response, so 1 oz priming sugar per bottle or does it depend on the recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
i used the TAD for a few months during my transition from bottling to kegging. I liked it a lot. very easy to use, and beer on tap in your own fridge. plus, you can do stout pours with nitrogen canisters, which rocks.

i carbonated by adding sugar directly to each TAD bottle, and then filled extra bottles and used munton's carbonation tabs in those.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i have one, think its great but sometimes i like to keg or use glass bottles instead. i dont have any of the 6liter bottles it comes with, i just use 3liter supermarket brand soda bottles.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Beernewb
Recipes 

thanks, yeah, I still plan to do some bottling, it just gets tiresome if I have 2 or 3 batches to bottle within a week of one another. It would be a nice, reasonably priced, change if it works and people have decent results. I have a robust porter that I'm bottling now and an octoberfest ale in another week..that's 80+ 500ml bottles to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
i have one, think its great but sometimes i like to keg or use glass bottles instead. i dont have any of the 6liter bottles it comes with, i just use 3liter supermarket brand soda bottles.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I use the TAD system but I don't use the bottles, though I use the aluminum mini kegs (5L). I prime just like I would if I were bottling with no ill effects. I think the PET bottles combined with the CO2 charge may be too much preasure for the bottle which is why they say no more than 3 oz.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have one and love it. I only do one TAD bottle per batch, that way I have that for my fridge and have a good supply of bottles to age further and/or share with friends.

I just prime like I normally would for bottling and haven't had any problems with leakage from the TAD bottles or anything like that. Usually about 5oz of sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I fill the TAD bottle first from my bottling bucket, then I move on to my regular 12oz bottles. Really cuts down on my bottling time.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Beernewb
Recipes 

awesome, thanks, that's a great idea, so you're not limited to doing all three...I was worried becuase it calls for less priming sugar, but it seems you can prime like normal and do as many or few bottles as you want. I asume the instructions provide for an acceptable amount of headspace in the bottle?

Also, I see some people use different caps, I didin't see an option for a better cap on the company website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I have one and love it. I only do one TAD bottle per batch, that way I have that for my fridge and have a good supply of bottles to age further and/or share with friends.

I just prime like I normally would for bottling and haven't had any problems with leakage from the TAD bottles or anything like that. Usually about 5oz of sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I fill the TAD bottle first from my bottling bucket, then I move on to my regular 12oz bottles. Really cuts down on my bottling time.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Note that I tap the TAD bottle pretty much as soon as my glass bottles are ready to drink, so I could be tapping it before all the CO2 builds up. I think the longest I've had one go from filling to tapping is maybe 6 weeks.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, Ive been reading alot about these someone left me a link for good Instructions.

http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/4900.pdf

Quick Reply