Anyone bought the Cicerone's Beersavvy Program?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the Cicerone's website, and I am curious if anyone has bought this "Beersavvy" program at this insanely high price of $199? I guess one good take away is that it also includes the Certified Beer Server exam in that price...

http://beersavvy.com/

Hi -- longtime lurker, first time poster ... full discretion: I work for the Cicerone Certification Program.

As always, the syllabus and recommended resources for all of our exam levels is available for free on our site, for those who choose self-directed study (and many, many ppl do). Here's where you'll find that material for the Certified Beer Server exam: https://cicerone.org/content/certified-beer-server

However, over the past few years, as more organizations (restaurants, bars, distributors, etc) have decided they want their employees to have Cicerone Certified Beer Server certification, there came a challenge in training those employees in the knowledge needed for the exam. Which is why we developed BeerSavvy -- It is something that doesn't require live, on-site training, which is tricky in multi-shift businesses like a bar. The site takes the person through the 42 beer styles covered on the exam, as well as basic beer service and flavor and tasting.

So, BeerSavvy may not make sense on an individual level -- but we make it available on our site for those who may be interested. Again, I reiterate, it's not something you need to pass the Certified Beer Server exam.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Comparatively speaking to some of Micheal Jackson's books, the price for this program would be on par to his most famous two if purchased from amazon.com ; however, there comes my biggest knee jerk. Why is it that the program is only available to the purchaser for 90 days? You have an attractive looking program that is only good for 90 days, when I would want to watch it over and over at my leisure. Why not make it downloadable, or at the very least make it lifetime accessible? I have the assumptions of obviousness, but I am curious on your reasoning for this. In my opinion for that price, it should be a continuous access for refreshing yourself. Lastly, can you describe the flash cards that come with this program?

Well, as you state, the assumptions are obvious. Once something becomes digital, and therefore easily shareable, it loses its value (akin to sharing MP3s or movies online ...). Sure, you may not send your login and password to your friends to access the program at their leisure, but unfortunately, there are many people who feel entitled to media that's online. It's far different than just lending a book that you own (because only one person can have that book at a given time).

Anyway ... the flashcards are a downloadable (and printable to your own preferences) PDF of the 42 beer styles, featuring each of the style's:

- Color and SRM
- Perceived Bitterness and IBUs
- ABV
- Glassware
- Flavor and Balance
- History
- Related Styles

Here's an example of the German Pils:

German Pils.jpg

I'm curious how many people buy this each year?
How much time do people usually put into studying for Certified Beer Server on their own?

I just did my CBS a few weeks ago. I took about a month reviewing the flashcards a few times each week and going over the syllabus a few times too. That plus a working knowledge of draft systems and brewing basics from Homebrewing made me feel like I knew enough to take it. I easily passed the test on my first try.

I just did my CBS a few weeks ago. I took about a month reviewing the flashcards a few times each week and going over the syllabus a few times too. That plus a working knowledge of draft systems and brewing basics from Homebrewing made me feel like I knew enough to take it. I easily passed the test on my first try.
Congratulation! Did you pass it easy or slide by? I don't mean to be too nosey, I'm wondering whether I'm studying too much. I mean I want to really know the material, as opposed to just passing the exam for the sake of passing it. But I don't want to overkill it either. Sometimes I feel like I'm studying for Certified Cicerone rather than Certified Beer Server.

I got a 92. I think 80% is passing. Most of the ones I missed were about either proper washing etiquette or tap system maintenance. Both I don't do much of just being a Homebrewer and not a bartender.

Back