The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
bottleopener
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally I find it ridiculous that BMC tries to pawn off their products as "beer" while denying the existence of the authentic stuff: Natural Ice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
phooka
Large Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I personally love BMC. If they didn't make such crappy beer I may have never become a homebrewer :-)

dale

Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleopener View Post
Personally I find it ridiculous that BMC tries to pawn off their products as "beer" while denying the existence of the authentic stuff: Natural Ice.
Not to change the course of the thread, but this beg's the question...

What (in your opinion) is the best of the worst?
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #24
bottleopener
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Of the "college grade" beers, I'd give Busch Light top honors.

Milwaukee's Best Ice manages to distinguish itself from the class by being head-and-shoulders worse than anything else.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Didn't the "American Lite" style of beer come from the prohibition? Many, many breweries went out of business. Some managed to stick around and when prohibition ended, started pumping out the cheapest, thinnest stuff they could make. People were eager just to have a beer again, and the breweries' soon owned the whole kit and kaboodle (because of the mistake which prohibited homebrew, and made it difficult for people to startup a new brewery.)

Soon, the American public got used to thin, cheap beer, and that's what became the standard. There are a lot of people who are afraid to try a darker heavier beer, or who try it, but don't give it a chance. (Most of us were averse to drinking ANY kind of beer when we first started. Even that BMC stuff was strong-tasting).

If people would choke down an IPA or two, just to give them perspective, then maybe more would start to enjoy some of the other styles that are out there.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #26
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Didn't the "American Lite" style of beer come from the prohibition? Many, many breweries went out of business. Some managed to stick around and when prohibition ended, started pumping out the cheapest, thinnest stuff they could make. People were eager just to have a beer again, and the breweries' soon owned the whole kit and kaboodle (because of the mistake which prohibited homebrew, and made it difficult for people to startup a new brewery.)

Soon, the American public got used to thin, cheap beer, and that's what became the standard....
Hate to burst your bubble...but that's an urban legend that all of us beer snobs have been pretty happy to keep spreading, I was guilty of believing the same thing...but it ain't the truth...

Quote:
Myth: After World War II, brewers lowered production costs by adding corn and rice to their beer.

Reality: German-American brewers began adding corn and rice to their beer in the early 1870s, and did so not to lower their production costs (in 1878, a bottle of Budweiser cost the equivalent of $17 in today’s money!) but in order to accommodate Americans’ demand for a light-bodied beer.
As much as I hate to admit it...Americans just weren't drinking that much American Ales before the germans came. That's why I've had f*&@-all luck trying to find a late 1800's ale recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitious brew
In the early nineteenth century, Americans didn't drink beer - they drank whiskey instead, more than seven gallons per adult a year. There were 14,000 commercial distilleries in the United States but only about two hundred small breweries.
It wasn't until the German introduced thinner beers that Americans began to drink it.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

Quote:
November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br12-07-06.mp3

You might want to take a look at her book.

Her website and beer blog are great reads.
http://www.ambitiousbrew.com/index2.htm

She's been covering the AH/Inbev thing from a historian's perspective on her blog http://maureenogle.com/blog/

By the way...this one Po'ed me even more...

Quote:
In recent years, beer drinkers have worn t-shirts decorated with a quote attributed to Ben Franklin: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Just one problem: Franklin didn't say that. It's a mangled version of another Franklin quote about the pleasures of wine. In a 1779 letter, he wrote that the rain that fell on vineyards and transformed vines into grapes for wine provided "a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 07-17-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #27
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

So a blond walks into a bar and asks for a beer. The bartender askes "Anheuser Busch?" The blond replys "Fine, and hows your dick?"

Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
Shaggy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer View Post

So a blond walks into a bar and asks for a beer. The bartender askes "Anheuser Busch?" The blond replys "Fine, and hows your dick?"

Old 06-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So the presidents of Bud, Miller, Coors and Paulaner are having lunch together.

The waitress asks what they wanted to drink.

The prez of AB says "the King of Beers for sure!"

The prez of Miller says "an MGD!"

The prez of Coors says "the one and only Silver Bullet".

The prez from Paulaner says "just a glass or water, please".

The others presidents said "what your brew's not good enough to eat with a meal?"

the prez of Paulaner says "No, it's not that...I just figured you guys weren't drinking beer so neither should I!!"

Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
So the presidents of Bud, Miller, Coors and Paulaner are having lunch together.

The waitress asks what they wanted to drink.

The prez of AB says "the King of Beers for sure!"

The prez of Miller says "an MGD!"

The prez of Coors says "the one and only Silver Bullet".

The prez from Paulaner says "just a glass or water, please".

The others presidents said "what your brew's not good enough to eat with a meal?"

the prez of Paulaner says "No, it's not that...I just figured you guys weren't drinking beer so neither should I!!"
I posted it last week, only in my version with the Arthur Guiness, not the president of Pauliner.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply