Aging Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in cold weather months I usually brew stouts & porters with bourbon & oak or vanilla beans. I age them in the bottles up to 10 weeks or so to meld the oak/bourbon flavors. Vanilla porters some 4 weeks or so. Carb & condition at 70F at least. Then downstairs where it's cooler to hibernate till fridge time.

Generally the stronger/darker the better for aging. I like to age barleywine, imperial stout, dark/strong belgians and sour/wild beers. For temperatures, coolish (50-60) is good but if your basement is in the mid 60s then I that should be fine. I'm not sure about humidity but I can't imagine it making too much difference.

One tip I can give is, if you are aging a lot of different beers, is to keep stock so you know what you have and how old it is. You want to make sure to drink 'em when it's their time. :)

EDIT: You also have to be not lazy and update your spreadsheet when you drink beers. I would recommend this website to keep track; makes it really easy. http://www.cellarhq.com/

Like mentioned above, high abv beers tend to be good candidates for aging. Lighter beers and/or highly hoped beers are the ones you want to drink fresh. Cellar temperatures are ideal, but if your like me, that isn't always possible. I store mine in an interior closet on the bottom shelf to try to keep the temperature swings to a minimum. I have several bottles that are 2+ years old and they are doing just fine. I don't think humidity is a factor with a metal cap.

Back