Aeration whip or wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasO5608

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing but I just completed an all electric Kal clone brewery for my basement and have brewed a couple of batches so far and everything has been going well. I have been researching aeration and see that people are using stones and O2. I purchased a wand that said it was for wine or beer. It is a plastic tube and has what looks like weed whacker line on it. The directions said to aerate the wort for 3 min. I did this in a batch last night and it created a head on the wort about 5" thick and had the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I tried to mix it back in the solution but it did not work. I went ahead and pitched the yeast and looked at it this morning and it looks like a normal fermentation going on.(the thick foam dissipated) I am wondering if I altered the beer by whipping it so much. I guess only time will tell but has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,

Tom

I am fairly new to brewing but I just completed an all electric Kal clone brewery for my basement and have brewed a couple of batches so far and everything has been going well. I have been researching aeration and see that people are using stones and O2. I purchased a wand that said it was for wine or beer. It is a plastic tube and has what looks like weed whacker line on it. The directions said to aerate the wort for 3 min. I did this in a batch last night and it created a head on the wort about 5" thick and had the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I tried to mix it back in the solution but it did not work. I went ahead and pitched the yeast and looked at it this morning and it looks like a normal fermentation going on.(the thick foam dissipated) I am wondering if I altered the beer by whipping it so much. I guess only time will tell but has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,

Tom
RDWHAHB, your beer will be fine. i haven't had the funds for an O2 tank/airstone, have aerated by pouring from a tall cabinet into a bucket on the floor, generally get 5+ inches of foam on top, and my beers turn out well.

Yep. Normal. It foams then will dissipate. If the yeast was on top of the foam it will drop into the wort when the foam collapses.

No worries here...

BTW it does the same with an aeration stone.

Wow! Thanks for the quick response! My mind has been set at ease. On to the next brew! I built a six keg kegerator that needs filling.
I have been working on my basement brew/pub room since October and have not brewed since then and all my kegs are empty. I have to resort to store bought beer...

Cheers!:mug:

Tom

Latest posts

Back