Adding Dextrose to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
I missed my OG on my brew laste night by about .018. I was thinking of adding some dextrose to the primary by boiling some sugar then adding the syrup right in. What kind of effect will this have/is this a smart idea?

It's fine, but I would keep it lower than 10% of the total fermentables. Depending on the recipe, the tangy taste may come through, and on very mild recipes you will likely tell it's there even in small amounts. I would use DME instead to bring the OG back up.

I agree. Maybe add 1lb of plain DME instead of sugar. Abit more flavor to balance the slight increase in ABV rather than a bit drier beer with the dextrose.

Ive got about 15.5 pounds of grain for an ipa. I was planning on hitting around 72 but hit around 54.

10# 2 Row
4# Munton pale row
1# 10L
.5# 20L
.125#Carapils

I like a dry IPA, so a bit of sugar wouldn't hurt, but for your full .018 increase I'd probably do half that gravity in sugar and half in DME. --- I believe 1lbs of DME=.01 gravity then add approriate quantity of sugar

Latest posts

Back