Where to start with all-grain brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
Hello, I have been using the hops growing forum on this site for over a year, and now that I am looking to make the change to all-grain, I realize that I have no clue where to start. Can anyone recommend any tutorials or specific items I'll need before I can begin (please bear my poverty in mind). I'd also love to hear of any IPA recipes appropriate for my first batch. Thank you in advance.

You should check out this thread on brewing in a bag (BIAB). It's probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into all grain brewing. I actually started all grain brewing last year with the standard cooler MLT / HLT setup and had good success. But the simplicity of BIAB intrigued me and I actually tried my first BIAB brew this morning. It went really well and hopefully if I can make a few good batches of beer this way I'll be switching to BIAB exclusively.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

Try getting a cooler from a local home improvement store. Then pick up some valves and a false bottom. That's how I started and I just grew from there. My 10 gallon cooler has worked perfect for over a year now.

http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_Mallgrainprimer.pdf is what I used to get started. I tried BIAB once, didn't really like it anymore than using a standard MLT, so I just stayed stuck in my cumbersome outdated ways.

Who says your ways are outdated or cumbersome? If you enjoy doing it that way and you like the product, it's perfect.

I happen to like doing the BIAB way because it is less equipment and less time but I sure won't put you down for doing it differently. :rockin:

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, I decided to build a cooler-tun and just used it yesterday for the first time. I am trying a "Rye P.A.":
11lb 2-Row
2lb rye
.75 Caramel 60
.75 Caramel 120
.75 Carapils
Mashed at 155 for 70 min
3 oz Citra
3 oz Cascade
90min: .5 oz Citra
60min: .5 citra, .5 cascade
30 min: .5 cascade
15 min: .5 citra .5 cascade
10 min: .5 cascade
5 min: 1 oz cascade
flameout: .5 citra
(did I mention that I love hops?)
dryhop: 1 oz citra
Cali-style ale yeast (Wyeast brand)

The entire process (finding parts, building & brewing) went way easier than expected. If the smell of the boiling wort is any indication of what we've created, this beer should be awesome.
Thanks again for the help, cheers!

Back