Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > using coffee in a secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I added ground coffee to a stout and it worked out well.
They all settled into the trub (ok 99% settled, maybe the beer might have had like 2 particles per bottle).
The coffee taste was a bit strong at first, but after 2 months was excellent.

I have tried stout with liquid coffee added and it tasted watery. But maybe with a little less water in the fermentor, it would have been better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
robqualls
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Ground coffee in a muslim bag is the way to go. I did this with a breakfast stout and it turned out fantastic. I did 3 oz (6oz in your case) of a course grind Sumatra into the secondary. You will still have some grounds that slip out of the bag but for the most part you won't notice. I agree with a previous post that says brewing coffee and adding it will taste watery. Also the flavor will disopate over time. The cold steep in the secondary won't do that. Especially important if you are brewing a big beer that needs time to age. No need to sanitize the beans if adding to secondary as long as the beans are fresh, the alcohol should be high enough to kill the bad guys in secondary.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I added 4 ounces of fresh coarsely ground vanilla coffee beans (8:00 Coffee) to a five gallon batch of my Black Pearl Porter. Threw them into the bucket in a paint strainer bag with some marbles. Gave them about 7 days. Unbelievable delicious.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

French Press is your friend.

I suggest getting one. Great for coffee, fruit teas, and I even use it to jack up my IPA's by infusing hops with it. Fun tool to have when brewing.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
deepsouth Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlothan
What about just adding toddy to your beer and mixing on bottling day?
This is what I did on my last coffee porter, I cold steeped 4oz (by weight) in 12 oz of water and added at bottling. It has been 2 months and it is delicious.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
whiteheadcraftbeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robqualls
Ground coffee in a muslim bag is the way to go. I did this with a breakfast stout and it turned out fantastic. I did 3 oz (6oz in your case) of a course grind Sumatra into the secondary. You will still have some grounds that slip out of the bag but for the most part you won't notice. I agree with a previous post that says brewing coffee and adding it will taste watery. Also the flavor will disopate over time. The cold steep in the secondary won't do that. Especially important if you are brewing a big beer that needs time to age. No need to sanitize the beans if adding to secondary as long as the beans are fresh, the alcohol should be high enough to kill the bad guys in secondary.
Thank you for the advice, this is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I had figured that there would be enough alcohol present in the secondary to kill anything on the beans but I just wanted to be sure. I have a bur mill so coarse grind is right up my alley, would you suggest giving the grinder parts a washing in some star san before grinding? Thank you also to everyone for their input, I never thought I could get so much advice from this thread. Cheers to all!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
whiteheadcraftbeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton
French Press is your friend.

I suggest getting one. Great for coffee, fruit teas, and I even use it to jack up my IPA's by infusing hops with it. Fun tool to have when brewing.
I also have a French press, how do you go about infusing hops with? I'm intrigued as IPA's are my favorite. Actually even through the winter I do an IPA about every other brew. I actually plan on using these coffee ideas in an IPA, sounds weird I know, but I went to a craft beer tasting and elevator brewing had a cask conditioned coffee IPA that was FANFRIGGINTASTIC, I talked to the guy that brewed it and got the recipe for it, only thing he wouldn't fully divulge was how he did the coffee, thus the reason for this thread. Cheers

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
whiteheadcraftbeers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I added 4 ounces of fresh coarsely ground vanilla coffee beans (8:00 Coffee) to a five gallon batch of my Black Pearl Porter. Threw them into the bucket in a paint strainer bag with some marbles. Gave them about 7 days. Unbelievable delicious.
When you say marbles do you literally mean marbles? Is this to weigh the bag down? Also, I must confess, I've stolen tons of your ideas in the past off of other posts so...thanks man!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
robqualls
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteheadcraftbeers

Thank you for the advice, this is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I had figured that there would be enough alcohol present in the secondary to kill anything on the beans but I just wanted to be sure. I have a bur mill so coarse grind is right up my alley, would you suggest giving the grinder parts a washing in some star san before grinding? Thank you also to everyone for their input, I never thought I could get so much advice from this thread. Cheers to all!
I do think that's a good idea (starsan grinder). Good luck with it! Let me know how it turns out! Cheers

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
whiteheadcraftbeers
Recipes 

Oh I will, I'm hoping to get it going soon. Thanks again.

Quick Reply