Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Use a Nylon bag for Hopback?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
ILBMF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Use a Nylon bag for Hopback?

Ok, I'm a huge IPA lover and can't get enough hop aroma/flavor in my beer. Problem is, I always bottle a 6 pack and keg the rest of every 5 gallon batch. I use a nylon bag in the keg, but the bottled portion of course is never as hoppy.

I have at times used a nylon bag as soon as the boil is complete at flame out with an ounce or 2 of hops in it. I would just use my wort chiller (no water flowing through it) for about 5-10 minutes to massage the hop bag, then crank up the water and continue cooling.

My question is: Will this method extract the most out of my hops? A cheap alternative to a hopback? Any suggestions on how to get the most aroma without going overboard and causing a metallic taste from over dry-hopping which I've done in the past unfortunately?

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you tried hopbursting?

Also....check this out. I've always been fairly dissappointed with homebrewed IPAs. I don't brew a lot of them myself, and when I do they aren't massive. But, when I wanted more hops, I built this.. Worked great and only cost me about $30.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Suthrn...Build_Process/

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Maybe consider kegging the whole thing, then filling the bottles from the keg after they have had a chance to absorb the hops goodness?

EDIT: Nice setup ! I might have to add that to my to-do list.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have bottled right from the keg. What the heck is hopbursting? I won't allow myself to give up on a massive IPA.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hopbursting is when you skip all the hops throughout the boil and make up the IBU's in the last 10-15 minutes. So...if you had a 60 minute bittering hop contributing 40IBU's, then you'd drop it and add enough hops at the end of the boil to make up that 40. It adds a ton to the flavor/aroma side of things.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Hopbursting is when you skip all the hops throughout the boil and make up the IBU's in the last 10-15 minutes. So...if you had a 60 minute bittering hop contributing 40IBU's, then you'd drop it and add enough hops at the end of the boil to make up that 40. It adds a ton to the flavor/aroma side of things.
And it requires a ton of hops. I've been wanting to try this for a while now, but haven't. But I've got a bunch of last years hops to go through, and I really should use them up.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I looked around the forum and did quite a bit of reading on the hopbursting method. I think I'll hit the promash software and do a little adjustment and try this method. The IPA in my secondary right now is a loose cannon clone which I think will be pretty damn good. If it's not quite hoppy enough I will definitely do this adjustment. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

I'm new to brew forums even though I've been at it for several years. I've learned a lot in the last 5 days. This place is full of knowledge and decent people.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thread back from the dead! I'm here to report that I hit the promash software and tweaked my Loose Cannon clone recipe for hop bursting and tried 8 day old beer last night. This method really works well. The results are bold, not subtle at all. I plan on making one more adjustment on the next batch (more hop bursting) just to get it exactly where I want it. Very impressed, thanks for the advice. It's the best I've received in quite a while.

The additional hops needed for this is well worth the cost which is only a few bucks. Jeeez, I love beer!

Quick Reply