Understanding RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
I am looking for some threads or links for information on understand RIMS, how RIMS works, and the step-by-step process of a typical brew day on a RIMS system. I did a search but I couldn't find what i was looking for.

This thread can be turned into a discussion and it would make a great sticky if we get a lot of responses and good content.

I'm sure a lot of people out there wouldn't mind this being a sticky.

There are a number of good RIMS setup threads out there. What are you looking for?

The trouble is there's no single RIMS design, and the multiple variations operate differently. Basically, you turn on the recirculating pump when you start your mash. Most people have some way of measuring mash temperature and some way of (automatically or manually) applying heat to the mash. So what are you looking at? Electric elements and a PID? Direct fire and a thermometer? The only thing in common between RIMS systems seems to be the pump (and maybe not even that).

Basically, a 3 kettle setup with a RIMS tube that houses the element on one end and a RTD sensor on the other. Element controlled by a PID.

The RIMS for dummies is a good start, and I see you've posted there. I guess I'm not sure what you are looking for. Recirculating systems are a good way to keep even temps, and a tube is a good way to get those temps where you want them. Beyond that, it's just about turning the pump on at the start and off at the end. Like anything, there are pitfalls, but they vary by system and the majority of them have been covered in the various threads.

Not to be thick, but it's a pretty simple mash design. What kind of information weren't you able to find?

Well, i guess I was looking for more technical information and just not your basic info.. Thats all. I've spent so much time and money into my build and I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thats why i was hoping there was a thread started already. Thanks for your help.

Back