Split brew days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleJ

Reaction score
Maybe this has been answered, but I wasn't sure how to search for it.

I want to get a couple of brews done over a couple of weeks but I can only ferment one batch at a time and I'm also coming up against some time/busy issues.

So I was thinking of doing the following. Any thoughts and insights are appreciated.

On my next brew day, once I had the first batch in the kettle I was going to mash a second batch of a different style, but only run off 5 gals of wort (sort of a self made extract). Of course, adjusting the grain bill to give me a gravity that'll work out when I dilute it back down at boil time.
Then put that 5gals in a corny keg and top it off with CO2. Just enough to purge the air.
Put it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, then when I have the fermenter free and the opportunity, to do the boil.

Any downside to this? Problems?

Thanks

IMO, if you're doing a whole second mash with a new grain bill, you're not saving any time. The risk of infection in the stored wort is too high.

I'd just buy another fermenter -- can be a bucket if $$ is an issue.

See this Thread. Look at post #4. A Sanke keg works great for catch up. They are not any harder to clean than carboys either.

That's an interesting keg/fermenter set up.

My problem, though, is adequate space for temperature controlled fermentation for more than one vessel.

The time savings come from the mashing equipment already being out and setup, and mashing while the boil is going for the first beer (brewhouse multitasking).

The idea of putting the wort in a keg under pressure and in the fridge was to deter any infection.

I think you would need to boil the wort some before refrigeration since there is so much bacteria on the outside of grain husks, thats why you don't mill and ferment in the same room.

You could try this but my guess is the wort would sour while it's in the fridge even under co2.

DaleJ said:
That's an interesting keg/fermenter set up.

My problem, though, is adequate space for temperature controlled fermentation for more than one vessel.

The time savings come from the mashing equipment already being out and setup, and mashing while the boil is going for the first beer (brewhouse multitasking).

The idea of putting the wort in a keg under pressure and in the fridge was to deter any infection.

The keg will fit in most refrigerators and you have 12 to 13 gallons of space.

Back