Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Smoked Porter - Secondary? Conditioning time/temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
slim2043
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smoked Porter - Secondary? Conditioning time/temp?

We brewed our first Smoked Porter (extract w/grains) about a week ago. Currently there is a bag of whiskey soaked oak chips hanging out in there and we are thinking about what the next step should be to make this beer come out the way we want. We want the brew to come out tasting like a smoked porter with hints of the whiskey and oak back. What we don't want is overpowering whiskey all over the nose and tongue with the beer coming through as an afterthought. We will probably transfer it to a secondary this weekend and have a few concerns about temps and times and when to pull out the chips.

I am reading some information about conditioning the porter for 3 weeks at 45 degrees and I don't have a cooling system. Currently it is ferming at about 68-72 in my basement and I don't expect to get much cooler temperatures.

Is there any need to be conditioning at such cool temps?

Should we pull the oak chips to let the flavors mellow if so how long?

Any tips or advice will be appreciated... thx

Primary: Apricot Blonde
Secondary: Dry-Hopped Amber
Bottled: Brown, AIPA, IIPA, Wit
Next: Brown, Oktoberfest
#NOTHING SACRED

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply