Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > skipping the secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
goswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default skipping the secondary

I am considering skipping racking to the secondary with my next batch of APA. I read many threads that say keeping in on the yeast cake for a month and then bottling will work very well for many styles of beer.
Since I do 5 gallon batches and primary in a 6.5 gal carboy, will the large amount of head space in the primary effect my beer? I thought one of the reasons for moving to a secondary is to move the wort to a smaller vessel to eliminate head space?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

It'll be fine. You will still have a "blanket" of co2 over your beer, and that headspace isn't so much anyway.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
JoePolvino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswell
I am considering skipping racking to the secondary with my next batch of APA. I read many threads that say keeping in on the yeast cake for a month and then bottling will work very well for many styles of beer.
Since I do 5 gallon batches and primary in a 6.5 gal carboy, will the large amount of head space in the primary effect my beer? I thought one of the reasons for moving to a secondary is to move the wort to a smaller vessel to eliminate head space?
One reason to move to secondary is to allow the flavors to blend without the risk of getting off-flavors from the yeast. This is good practice for bigger beers.

Another reason is for clarification. However, the same result can be achieved simply by leaving the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Having said that, I routinely ferment my ales for 3-4 weeks and have never had a problem. While impatience is often hard to fight, beer tastes best when you allow things to progress at their own rates.

Quick Reply