RIS too hot in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Alright, so here it goes- this is my first real post here, and I am needing some help. I have an AG stout in the secondary that's been there for 5-6 weeks. Then the weekend that I planned on bottling my wife's grandfather died and we were away. While we were away (1 week), we lost power and the AC went out. When we got back, our apt was >80 degrees. So is my beer toast because of the temp (BTW I have no idea how long its been hot in our place like that) or what? Will it get phenolic? Any input would be appreciated. I just want to prepare myself for what could be my worst homebrewing blunder to date.

I don't think it will affect the beer much at all. If it happened early in the fermentation process, then you would be screwed.

Give it a taste. That's the only way to know. If it's fine then, it will be fine when you bottle it.

This is the only way. I wouldn't worry, though. Once fermentation is over, a week or two in the 80s shouldn't do much, if any, harm. It's no doubt lost just about all its CO2, so prime a little higher than you were planning so it doesn't turn out flat.

Since your primary fermentation is over, it should be fine. If it was during primary fermentation, it would be a different story.

The big problem with higher (secondary) temps is that many types of bad bacteria love it. Your beer is further out of the safe zone. High gravity beers are safer by nature so I'd not worry much.

It doesn't take much yeast to bottle condition. Adding new healthy yeast will condition the beer much faster though. 1 gram of dry yeast is enough. Don't worry about the flavor impact from a different yeast. The few points needed for carbonation will not change the beer.

So an update, I just bottled this bad boy this past Sunday, and it actually had no detrimental effects from the temps during secondary fermentation. I cracked one open on Wednesday night and found that other than my recipe being a little hop heavy for what I had in mind, it was a decent beer while still being very green. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Well the hop heavy note you have will fade a bit as it ages.

Congrats on making a delicious RIS, I need some proper gear so I can actually mash a big bad boy like that.

Well the hop heavy note you have will fade a bit as it ages.

Congrats on making a delicious RIS, I need some proper gear so I can actually mash a big bad boy like that.

You don't need anything too elaborate you know. This was done BIAB style with a small batch size. I have since made a mash tun from an Igloo Island Breeze 60 quart cooler that I will be using for a Belgian Dubbel this weekend. Don't worry about having the most expensive equipment, just watch your technique and you'll mash up a great beer!

Yeah, if anything you sped up the aging process a touch there.

So some tasting notes a few weeks into conditioning:

Aroma: Toasty, toffee/caramel
Taste: Burnt sugar (think the crusty stuff on top of creme brulee), caramel, and lingering toast/biscuity aftertaste. The high hop aroma and flavor has already dissipated!
Appearance: Deep brown with ruby red highlights, and a thick orange-ish colored head.

Good news! As they say, patience is a virtue. They also say don't dump beer because it'll probably be alright. Glad things turned out alright.

Back