Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Reusing a whisky barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Yeahman99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The RIS has been in the barrel since Thursday and I plan on sampling tonight or tomorrow. I brew weekly so I always have something ready to go into the barrel once I remove the RIS. I have heard to go lighter with each batch as well. Thoughts? I am thinking I will slosh around some cheap vodka between batches and only allow at most an hour between emtying and refilling. That will hopefully reduce the possibility of souring or bugging out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
XPLSV
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahman99 View Post
I just got a 5gal oak barrel from Balcones that had single malt whisky in it...
I recently picked one of these up, as well. Getting ready to put a barleywine into it.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a 5 gallon Balcones barrel about 2 months ago from Adventures in Homebrewing. I kept it with a liter of bourbon in it for a few weeks while I got an imperial stout brewed. I swirled the bourbon around in it just about every day to keep it clean and moist. I know a guy who does a lot of beer aging in 5 gal barrels, and he recommends this method for storing empty barrels between uses.

Anyway, my stout has been in the first use barrel for 16 days now and I am botting it today. I tasted it yesterday and it already has a ton of bourbon and oak flavor.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've got a Balcones barrel from the local HBS, and have aged two beers in it so far. Following similar advice I keep a liter of cheap bourbon in, and splash it around every few days. Before and after aging a beer I rinse it out with a little distilled water.

First beer was hit pretty quick with the Bourbon notes, and a bit of oak.
Second was Bourbon on the nose (very nice) and a nice background of oak flavor.
Third...we'll see

My best advice for aging is: taste, taste, taste. Once a week at least. The small volume really speeds up the effects.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
XPLSV
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I, too, picked up my Balcones barrel from Adventures in Homebrewing. I moved my barleywine into the secondary about a week ago and plan to put it into the barrel following some travel during the next two weeks. Between the concern of over-oaking and just plain being busy, I decided to push it off until then and ensure I will be around to taste it on a regular basis. I'm also dry hopping this barleywine, which I plan to do after pulling it out of the barrel, due to the fleeting nature of hop aromas/flavors.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #16
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Reviving this thread momentarily lol.

I have citric acid/sodium metabisulphite. The barrel I own is 10 gals, and was used for Rye. I'm worried, however, that filling the barrel with the citric acid, sodium metabisulphite will strip away the rye flavor, especially since I plan on storing it away for a few weeks before I brew.

Is this something I should worry about?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #17
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGC
Reviving this thread momentarily lol. I have citric acid/sodium metabisulphite. The barrel I own is 10 gals, and was used for Rye. I'm worried, however, that filling the barrel with the citric acid, sodium metabisulphite will strip away the rye flavor, especially since I plan on storing it away for a few weeks before I brew. Is this something I should worry about?
Yes. Whatever you put in your barrel will eventually strip it of its character. Hence the reason most will clean and wet the barrels with something that was in it before.

If just use it and let it take its course. Get some rye and put in there to slosh around and call it good. Barrel aging in hombrew and even commercial is a risk, period.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If the barrel is in good condition (wet inside, staves tight) you should not need to do anything to it other than keep it hydrated. And remember, that rye was probably a good 50% alcohol, so there is very little chance of anything beer spoiling hanging around in there.

I agree, a couple bottles of the cheapest rye you can find is all you need to do. My couple of bourbon barrels have gone for over a year that way. Although I've had to add more bourbon along the way.

Quick Reply