Pitched Hops Too Early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richbrew99

Reaction score
I'm making a Chocolate Stout, got the ingredients in BeerSmith, hit all my numbers where I want,etc. I'm making it in the middle of the IBU's for my female friends so it's not too bitter. I pitched in the hops at about 50 minutes by accident instead of 20 minutes. Is there any way I can lower the ibu's during the boil?

I'm making a Chocolate Stout, got the ingredients in BeerSmith, hit all my numbers where I want,etc. I'm making it in the middle of the IBU's for my female friends so it's not too bitter. I pitched in the hops at about 50 minutes by accident instead of 20 minutes. Is there any way I can lower the ibu's during the boil?

Did you add any hops at 60 minutes? These were 20 minute hops you added at the beginning? I'm not sure I understand what exactly you did. What's the recipe and the hops you added early?

The hops were supposed to be added at the 20 minute mark, I added at 50 minutes.
3 gal Chocolate Stout

Grains
.45 lb Choc Malt
.30 lb lb 2 row pale malt
.15 lb 40L
.08 lb Black Malt
.08 lb Black Barley

60min
1.20 lb Amber LME
3 lb Dark LME

20 min Galena Hops

5 min Malto-Dextrine

2 min Cocoa nibs

Nothing to be done to lower IBUs now. Maybe double up the cacao nibs to get more chocolate flavor to lessen the impact of the hops.

Worst case scenario, let it sit for a while. The bitterness should subside over time.

Thanks for your suggestions, I didn't think there was anything I could do. I went ahead with what I had. Maybe before bottling I'll sample and see if it needs any more chocolate extract or something.

@Browarmistrz - Will it be too late to add lactose after fermentation has slowed? That's when I plan to take a sample and see how it turns out. According to BeerSmith, it changed my IBU's from around 27 to almost 44. Like I said, I was trying to go on the low end of the bitters scale for the ladies. If it was me I wouldn't care, I like 100 IBU's.
@1brAPTbrewer - You all have great, upbeat attitudes, that's why I love this hobby and this forum. Thank you to you and everyone else that has patience and guides us to beer bliss.

Just an update, the stout turned out awesome. Very well received with my friends. Thanks again for all your help and support.

Back