New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Nut Brown Ale - Adding Honey to Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
rohovie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am using a pre-hopped extract kit from Black Rock. No fancy recipe for me yet, i'm still fairly new to this.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

that's another knock against throwing in honey. if you're new you presumably want to be drinking this sometime soon yeah? you're so close, all you have to do is let it clear for a week or two then bottle and wait for it to carb.

if you throw in honey now it could be weeks or even months before it's clear. you could do like i did and just bottle anyway, but the beer had a definite yeast bite (not tasty) for over a month after bottling.

that being said plenty of people have made fantastic beers using honey.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

any way you add the honey, as a sugar it needs to ferment thoroughly. Once fermented, honey no longer retains the same flavor of pre-fermented honey, so you might not need it. There are malts that taste like unfermented honey, but I have no experience with them. I like to add honey to darker beers, to help them dry out and to boost alcohol somewhat. This can be done cheaper by using corn or cane sugar, especially if your final gravities are consistently high. The honey does add a flavor, but it is different than unfermented honey. I'd wait til next time and add your honey after your boil and the wort has cooled to pasturizing temps.

Quick Reply