Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No-sparging for an Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No-sparging for an Imperial Stout

I was thinking about brewing up a huge Imperial Stout along the lines of Brewpastors Dark Night of the Soul RIS. The problem is, I only have a 7.5 gallon aluminum (turkey fryer special) boil-kettle. It's just enough to do a full-boil with an average gravity ale......

....so, If I have 25 lbs of grain to mash, I will need roughly 7.5 gallons just to mash with, nevermind the extra water needed for sparging. So could I mash with 8-9 gallons of water (to account for water lost to the grain) and just make this big beer with the first runnings only?

....(and a follow up question, if this worked, could I make a second, lesser beer from second runnings?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd like to hear from the more experienced brewers on this as well. I was thinking of making a Barleywine and Pale/Blonde in partigyle fashion like this. First runnings would be a 5 gallon batch or BW, add another 6.5 gallons and make some Pale Ale. With a 10 gallon batch of something in the 1.065 range, my first runnings come out at 1.090. Seems like after boil-off that would be a prefect range for a 1.095-1.100 BW. Same would be true for an Imp. Stout I would imagine.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes and Yes. The process is called partigyle (searching will come up with lots of threads on this topic). A very common partigyle is to make a barleywine and a mild. You're making a RIS, so your lesser beer will likely just be plain stout, though you may have to add some malt extract since the second (and subsequent) runnings are of significantly lower gravity.

I read that first runnings gravity can be calculated (if you're using brewing software) at 50% efficiency for most systems, second runnings at 25% and third runnings <10%. Testing my runnings on a recent stout confirms this, but your results may vary.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post

I read that first runnings gravity can be calculated (if you're using brewing software) at 50% efficiency for most systems, second runnings at 25% and third runnings <10%. Testing my runnings on a recent stout confirms this, but your results may vary.
So does this mean that I would need even more grain and water to account for 50% efficiency?

are there any other ways to get around a small boil kettle? Could I boil the first runnings and second runnings dow separately and then combine them when they get to a volume that would fit the pot, add hops and go from there? (I suppose I could, but has anyone ever done this? and how did it work out?)

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

You could split it into two half batches then blend in the fermenter, too. Double the work, but it gets you around not sparging and your small kettle.

If you're looking to upgrade your kettle:

Here's a cheap ($40) 10-gal stock pot. I use it and it's great: Aluminum Stock Pot W/O Cover - 40 Qt., Stock Pots, Cookware

They also have a 60-quart for $65, free shipping: Aluminum Stock Pot W/O Cover - 60 Qt., Stock Pots, Cookware

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I knew the 999-Barleywine was too much beer for a 5 gallon batch in my 10-gallon setup.

I just dialed the recipe down for a 3.5 gallon batch.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
So does this mean that I would need even more grain and water to account for 50% efficiency?

are there any other ways to get around a small boil kettle? Could I boil the first runnings and second runnings dow separately and then combine them when they get to a volume that would fit the pot, add hops and go from there? (I suppose I could, but has anyone ever done this? and how did it work out?)
You could also just mash what you can safely and then supplement with DME. Kinda cheating the AG way....but it is valid.

Or you could give in and expand. Buy a cooler for 30 bucks or a keg off craigslist for 10. I got all 3 of my kegs from 3 different craigslisters in the same day for 30 bucks total!
"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Quick Reply