My hydrometer reads 1.000 at the meniscus, at 60*F using distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
I've always read that using distilled water will give you the most accurate reading of 1.000 at 60*F. But that reading had to be read below the meniscus where the liquid cuts across the stem of the hydrometer.

But both of my hydrometers: my regular brewing hydrometer .990 - 1.170 and my "lab grade" hydrometer 1.000 - 1.073 both read 1.000, at 60*f using distilled water.

Does anyone else have the same situation?

Not that it's that big of a deal, but I like to be as accurate as possible.

Your hydrometers are dead on. You will need to check the calibration on a periodic basis, rough handling can cause the card inside to slip.

edit
I forgot my general chemistry. The meniscus is the top of the curve at the container wall. At this point the meniscus is much less.

Generally I'll read the hydrometer in the same manner for consistency.

He is saying the the 1.000 is at the miniscus. So what most of us have been trained to interpret as about 1.002. I'll look closely at mine tonight.

Just got my brain in gear. If your hydrometer reads 1.000 by looking across the top of the meniscus, that is the calibration for that hydrometer. The hydrometer would always be read the same way for accuracy.

Just got my brain in gear. If your hydrometer reads 1.000 by looking across the top of the meniscus, that is the calibration for that hydrometer. The hydrometer would always be read the same way for accuracy.

Sounds fair to me. I've just never been real confident in my hydrometer reading skills and wanted to get some opinions.

Sounds fair to me. I've just never been real confident in my hydrometer reading skills and wanted to get some opinions.

It just happens my three hydrometers calibrate, to 1.000, at the bottom of the meniscus. The oldest one,1987, has a calibration temperature of 68°F though.

The meniscus and measurement

When reading a depth scale on the side of an instrument filled with liquid, such as a water level device, the meniscus must be taken into account in order to obtain an accurate measurement. Depth must be measured with the meniscus at eye level (to eliminate parallax error) and at the center of the meniscus, i.e. the top of a convex meniscus or the bottom of a concave meniscus.

Manufacturers of glassware and other tools calibrate their measurement marks to account for the meniscus. This means that any instrument is calibrated for a specific liquid, usually water.Manufacturers of glassware and other tools calibrate their measurement marks to account for the meniscus. This means that any instrument is calibrated for a specific liquid, usually water.

Wikipedia for the win.

I've always read that using distilled water will give you the most accurate reading of 1.000 at 60*F. But that reading had to be read below the meniscus where the liquid cuts across the stem of the hydrometer.

But both of my hydrometers: my regular brewing hydrometer .990 - 1.170 and my "lab grade" hydrometer 1.000 - 1.073 both read 1.000, at 60*f using distilled water.

Does anyone else have the same situation?

Not that it's that big of a deal, but I like to be as accurate as possible.

Some hydrometers are calibrated to be read at the top of the meniscus rather than the bottom. The theory being that if you've brewed a really dark beer and if you had to read it from the bottom of the meniscus, you might not be able to see the line due to the darkness of the beer. In reality, I've never brewed a beer so incredibly dark that I couldn't read the line through the extremely tiny amount of wort clinging to the hydrometer. Maybe if I was trying to get a hydro reading of used motor oil I'd have a problem, but that's about it.

The bottom line is, just go with whatever your hydrometer is set up for. If your hydrometer is reading 1.000 at the top of the meniscus, use that.

What LandoLincoln said.

Also, working in a commercial setting your sample tube is opaque (SS) so you're not likely to get a sight line at the bottom of the meniscus. The hydrometer at our brewery is calibrated for the top of the meniscus.

Also, consistency is key as some people mentioned above. If you're reading at the top of the meniscus, ALWAYS read at the top.

Do check the hydrometer instructions or the paper sleeve on the inside. I have two hydrometers, one calibrated for 60ºF and the other for 20ºC.

my hydrometer states that the reading should be taken at the center of the miniscus

Back