Long Dry Hop in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I just racked a Black IPA into it's secondary yesterday, after being in the primary for just over a month. A guy from my LHBS suggested theat I leave it in my secondary for a few weeks, then dryhop in the keg. I've heard of people doing this, but my concern is that I don't plan on starting to serve this until beginning of april, will the hops do anything bad if they are in the keg (in the fridge) for that long?

After a month in primary I'd go straight to keg, obviously too late for you. Normally I throw my dry hops in immediately without issue for long term use. However in your case I'd just wait on putting them in until a few weeks before serving begins.

In my observations, quality hops in gives a great dry hop without any off flavors. If you put hops that are bad or on the edge of spoilage then you will have issues with leaving them in the keg.

I think I would keg it. Store it until a few weeks before you plan on serving then dry hop later when ready. I agree with samc.
I haven't tried this myself but have been contemplating this same scenario.

I think I would keg it. Store it until a few weeks before you plan on serving then dry hop later when ready. I agree with samc.
I haven't tried this myself but have been contemplating this same scenario.

Do you mean keg it, start carbing, then throw in the hops a week or two before serving?

You can essentially use the keg as a secondary. Rack it to the keg, hit it with a burst of pressure to seal it, and let it sit until ready. A week or two before serving, toss the dry hops in and cool it down and carb it up.

I would purge and carb it. Later let the pressure off and dryhop.

I already have the hops for this, I plan on using 1/2 oz Amarillo, and 1/2 oz Simcoe. The guy at my LHBS said I should use a grain sock to put the pellets in, but double bag it so nothing gets out, he also metioned that I should tie it to the top of the dip tube. Does this sound okay to do?

Also do you think I should use a full ounce of each of the hops stated above, since they come in 1 oz bags already?

I dry hopped a keg with 2 oz of hops a while back. Put them in a sanitized paint strainer bag, tied it up tight, threw it in the keg and started serving. After about 10 days it started to taste awesome! I just left it in the keg until it was empty(which doesn't take long at my house)

This took a mediocre pale ale and helped turn it in to a delicious pale ale in 10 days. I didn't notice any floaties in the beer.

Cheers

I just tried my first dry hopped beer this weekend, flippin awsome! I will try the strainer bag tied to the dip tube trick with my next batch.

I just kegged an amber after 14 days in primary and threw in an oz of Simcoe and an oz of Willamette, put it in the kegerator at 15 PSI, will tap in another week or so and see how it's coming along. I'll probably end up jumping this one to another keg.

I'm playing with the idea of throwing the dry hops in the keg with my IPA and keeping them til the keg is killed, I've heard about it, but havent done an IPA in quite some time.

I've got a 3 gal keg with .5oz of pellet hops, double bagged, in a hop ball 1st, then inside a fine hop bag. I mounted a stainless hook to the inside flange of the pressure releif valve with a stainless hose clamp & hung the hopball/bag off of it.

Its been on the gas & cold for 3 weeks & tastes great. The keg is almost kicked.

I think cold beer + dry hops takes much longer to extract the hop flavor. I would fill your keg, purge the O2, then wait til you are closer to your serving time. When you are 2 weeks from serving, chill it down & add hops & put it on gas to carb. It will hold up for several weeks & taste great til you kick the keg.

On the bottom of the keg lid I put a clamp around where the poppet is screwed in. Made a hook out of a piece of wire held under the clamp. I put the hops in a bag tied to the hook and let them soak. The beer is fantastic and if it stays around long enough you can recover the bag by removing the lid. If you keep the string short it will be out of the beer after a few pours anyway.
I would not think that two ounces would be to much. Your looking to impart aroma so a lot would be better. The first pour will have some sediment.

I've got a 3 gal keg with .5oz of pellet hops, double bagged, in a hop ball 1st, then inside a fine hop bag. I mounted a stainless hook to the inside flange of the pressure releif valve with a stainless hose clamp & hung the hopball/bag off of it.

Its been on the gas & cold for 3 weeks & tastes great. The keg is almost kicked.

I think cold beer + dry hops takes much longer to extract the hop flavor. I would fill your keg, purge the O2, then wait til you are closer to your serving time. When you are 2 weeks from serving, chill it down & add hops & put it on gas to carb. It will hold up for several weeks & taste great til you kick the keg.

Wow I need to type faster.

Back