How long's it been since you tried a new recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a drug free tweeker, I always mix things up a little just to see if I like the outcome a little more or less. It always comes out to be good beer, I'm just working for those great beers.
That said, when I try a new recipe I try to follow it exactly the first time just to get what the original brewer meant, then I change it.

I've never brewed the same thing twice. I'm always trying different grains, hops and yeasts to see what I like. Also, since I never adjust my water chemistry, I'm discovering what styles work best for the water out of my tap. For instance, lighter color beers work best for the soft water we have.

I write something different or completely new every time.

Even if I wanted to brew the same exact thing, my tastes vary and I find I may want to make this version different than the last time by changing something, because I want it to taste different.

I have some consistent styles I like to keep around, but I don't want the exact same beers all the time.

I was just kind of wondering how long it had been since you guys have tried a new recipe ?

Just passed the 3 year mark in the history of my beer brewing hobby and its been months since I brewed anything really "new".

Not that I'm complaining, I just know what I like, like what I brew and brew what I like. Basically stick to the same recipes each time at this point.

Funny thing... even when I do try the same recipes, I get differing results. So, I figure, I might as well try something new. Lately I've been into dual-batching, making 2 different beers on the same brew day. I generally do 1 repeat and 1 new each time.

I would say 10 out of 35 batches or so that I've brewed have been repeats. But even those have had slight modifications based on new techniques I've picked up, or sometimes hop or grain substitutes. There are soooo many new recipes that I just can't wait to try that I keep trying new ones. Life is good.

Back