Hops and mesh bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekthurber34

Reaction score
so I used a Mesh bag for hops. hops in the bag turned all most rock like and still in the bag will I still get the same hops flavor I was looking for or is the beer a wash :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I push mine to the bottom of the kettle several times during the boil and then take out the bag and put it a small sanitized strainer and smash the heck out of it to get more essence out. Make sure the bag is loose around them, you don't want to tie the bag off right on top of them. Put the hops in and tie the bag at the very end so they can expand and give up their oils.

so I used a Mesh bag for hops. hops in the bag turned all most rock like and still in the bag will I still get the same hops flavor I was looking for or is the beer a wash :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Almost rock-like? Do you mean the bag itself is crammed tight with hops? If so, you need a bigger hop bag. The hops should move freely inside the bag the get the full bittering and flavor. If you're using pellets, they expand quite a bit in the boil. I use a large (5 gallon?) nylon bag for my hops.

Kinda off from what you're talking about, but I just strain my wort thru a very fine SS mesh strainer - aerates wort and no hop trub in fermenter. One time expense and I don't have to purchase nylon bags.

Cheers!

jmprdood said:
Kinda off from what you're talking about, but I just strain my wort thru a very fine SS mesh strainer - aerates wort and no hop trub in fermenter. One time expense and I don't have to purchase nylon bags.

Cheers!

This. I also use a 5gal paint strainer bag when transferring wort to bucket. I noticed better aroma and flavor since abandoning the hop sock.

I use the larger muslin grain bags per ounce of hops if I bag, gives them plenty of room to roam around. Look at the many threads or google "hop spider" for another easy solution.

Back