Homegrown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
Does anyone grow their own hops in New England? If so, what varieties have you grown? What success and failure are you getting? Lower alpha, mold problems, etc.?

New York used to grow a lot of hops early in this countries history. So it should be doable in at least some parts of New England.

A friend of mine has hops growing on her property out here (northwestern MA). Have no idea what kind they are, I don't think SHE knows. She makes wine, but I don't think she brews beer, so I have no idea what the hops are doing there. She just mentioned them to me when I told her my new hobby, so I'm going to snag some this fall for a locally-flavored brew).

Rookie said:
New York used to grow a lot of hops early in this countries history. So it should be doable in at least some parts of New England.

The main road though the Connecticut town I live in is called "Hopmeadow Street". And there's the U of Vermont studies on growing hop in New England. http://www.uvm.edu/~pass/perry/hops.html

I know it's do-able, I'm just looking for advice from someone who's actually doing it.

the_bird said:
A friend of mine has hops growing on her property out here (northwestern MA). Have no idea what kind they are, I don't think SHE knows. She makes wine, but I don't think she brews beer, so I have no idea what the hops are doing there. She just mentioned them to me when I told her my new hobby, so I'm going to snag some this fall for a locally-flavored brew).

Free hops, excellent. Be sure to do some research about exactly when and how to harvest. I think there's a fairly short window of time to harvest them at their peak. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Hops are closely related to cannabis. So, I guess the the old saying still rings true; "A friend with weed is a friend in deed."

Back