Help with a Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanoka

Reaction score
3lbs Extra light DME
3lbs wheat DME
1oz Fuggle (60 min)
5lbs frozen strawberries, quartered
1 wyeast pack of british ale yeast

1 week of fermentation in primary, then racked onto strawberries. After two days in the secondary, about a pound of strawberries were lost due to robust fermentation through the blow off tube. I have had the strawberry blonde ale in secondary for 2 weeks now, and I'm still seeing some mild fermentation activity. I'm a little worried that the loss of the strawberries resulting in less strawberry flavor.

Should I add more strawberries now, or has that time passed? I think I have enough head space to add another pound without blow off issues.

I would be very careful about continually adding fruit. I don't brew that many fruit beers, but when I have, I'll do plenty of sampling before adding more fruit. Everyone has different preferences on how sweet a fruit beer should be...so my advice would be to actually taste your beer now. Looks like it's about done with whatever additional fermenting it's doing...so only step up the strawberries if it's not fruity enough for you.

Back