Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help me improve this beer FAST!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Sounds like tge one thing they did not give you was time. Good luck with the event. Let us know how it went.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, I'll be sure to let you know how I fair. All in all I feel like I have made a solid recipe. Only thing that might hold me back is the lack of aging.

That's part of why I chose to make an American Stout. The contest is open to any and all variations of style and the American Stout is rather open to interpretation and gives me some room to work with (I know, I know, BJCP says..!! ..but this style is a funny one)

Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here are a few process tricks that may help but no substitute for time. A nice starter will speed things along but I guess it's too late for that. If you are truly done fermenting, carefully rack it to a carboy and leave behind as much as you can. The racking will act as a way to resuspend some yeast to help clean things up flavor wise. A few days before you need to keg, chill the carboy and then hit it with gelatin. While clarity isn't an issue, the gelatin will help pull out some thin that would take longer to settle out.

When you rack to the keg, don't even get close to the bottom as to not stir things up. When you fill the keg, don't get greedy and top it up but leave a few inches head space. This will help out when you carbonate.

To carbonate, you need to know the temp of the beer to have any hope of not over shooting it. You could use a keg carbonation cap (which there are some tricks to) or what I find works best is to roll the keg making sure you have the gas tube up. Check one of the charts online to get the pressure for your volumes CO2 and don't cheat by going over it and hoping to go faster.

One last trick if you are worried about sediment would be to make a liquid to liquid jumper and then transfer to another keg. I don't think you need to since this one won't have the time to settle anything out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If anyone is still interested, the event came and went. I cold crashed before kegging and nothing more, just hoped for the best.

No medals were won, but I scored a 35.5 and I'm pretty happy with that!

Last edited by h4mmy86; 04-22-2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: :drunk:

Quick Reply