Help...bad beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with my beer?

• Dump it

• Bottle and drink it

• Bottle and let me enemies drink it first

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alembician

Reaction score
I attached some photos of my beer. I was making a brown ale and it never really took off. Its been sitting in the carboy for about a month now. It smells great (hoppy) but I'm afraid to bottle and drink it. Let me know if anyone has had anything happen like this. As you can see, I forgot to strain it at first...those are grains and a couple hops. I shook it up and put a heater beside it and its bubbling every 5 or 6 seconds now...what should I do?
Thanks
Bobby

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

I really haven't had much of a desire to taste it...especially if the wrong thing has got into it. And especially with that scum on the top. Would you suggest I try it?

You really need to pull a sample and taste it. There is nothing in there that is going to kill you. If it is bad you will know it and can dump it but I'm betting it tastes just fine.:mug:

NEVER EVER EVER give up on your beer based on the appearance in the carboy. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS taste it at every opportunity (before the boil, after the boil, each hydrometer sample, etc). You'll be surprised at how much you learn...and at how much appearance can be deceiving.

Even at its best, fermentation is an ugly process. So, check the gravity & taste the sample.

What's the problem?
Whats the gravity? I guessing its done.
Whats it taste like? I guessing pretty good.
Bottle it and enjoy.
Craig

Thanks for all the help/reassurance guys. This was my first batch and after I didn't see it bubbling I just got kinda worried. Also, that crazy sludge didn't do much for my hopes either. I took a specific gravity reading and its almost done. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two then bottle it. I tasted it and its really pretty darn good! A little hoppy but I like it. Thanks again everyone
Bobby

Haha, the first brew paranoia. Love it. FYI there will always be sludge. Sludge is your friend! (most of the time) :D

Looks fine to me. Some cold break floating around on top and loads of flocculated yeast at the bottom - that's the stuff you don't put in the bottles!

Here is one of mine - probably the best batch I've made so far:

137_3799.jpg

..and here's the junk I didn't bottle - this is normal - RDWHAHB

137_3800.jpg

If you give it a slight rocking back and forth a lot of that might fall out. My Kolsch-style beer looke a lot like that, gave it rock and all of that fell to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back