New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > HELP! 1st Time Kegging Force Carbonation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Cooner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I take mine from room temperature and put it in the Keezer. As it is chilling I put about 35 to 40 PSI on it. I check in 24 hours. Normally, It's chilled and almost the right carb at that time. Sometimes, it will come out just slightly under carb'd and needs another 4 hours or so at 35 to 40 PSI to get to the right level of carb. Then turn it down to 8 PSI for serving. One thing, make sure to burb the pressure relief air lock after bringing the pressure down otherwise it is still at 35 to 40 PSI in the Keg eventhough your regulator may say only 8 PSI.

For Nitro, I take mine from room temperature and put it under CO2 for 24 hours while chilling at about 20 PSI. This half carbonates it and makes it ready for the Nitro. I then put it under 35-40 PSI of the Nitro beer gas and rock/shake for 15 minutes. Let it sit for a half hour and serve under nitro pressure of about 35 PSI. Watch the pretty cascade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
KCN_Brewer
Recipes 

You're pretty much got to chill it before you force-carb. Warm liquid won't hold gas. Chill it to serving temperature/storage temp and then force-carb.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Spreadhead
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

8-10 PSI for 3 wks gets you good carbonation, and some conditioning time. Drink other homebrew while relaxing & not worrying.

I guess I can understand if you only had 1 keg and can't wait, but I find that most if not all of my brews improve after a little conditioning.

Sent from Spreadhead's iPhone.

Spreadhead

Primary: nada, Tap 1: nada, Tap 2: nada, Tap 3: nada, Tap 4: breakfast stout
Next: robust porter

djsethall Likes This 

Quick Reply