Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Has anyone used dulce de leche in a beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
salzar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

search for "DOLCE" USDA SR21 (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/) to get sugar composistion. 49% sugar of which 41.7% is sucrose, 1.7% Dextrose , 4.9% Lactose. It is also 7.3% Fat

Reason: need sleep to spell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
CenturyStanding
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzar View Post
search for "DOLCE" USDA SR21 (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/) to get sugar composistion. 49% sugar of which 41.7% is sucrose, 1.7% Dextrose , 4.9% Lactose. It is also 7.3% Fat
The fat would be an issue for the beer. No head, and it would give it a really unappetizing mouthfeel.

However, I bet you could make your own Dulce de Leche from Fat-Free Milk and solve that issue.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
CenturyStanding
Recipes 

You could probably also just caramelize lactose for a similar effect.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if your using any milk product remember that milk is basic and beer is acidic. mix the two and it will curdle. i put evaporated milk in my creme brulee stout and it curdled, but then the curdled mess flocculated so it was salvagable. just a thought...

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Beerens
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It is a milk product, I may be wrong but is the milk caramelized along with the sugar. Would the hour long high heating and the chemical reactions that take place alter the pH of the product when the dulce de leche is made? Any suggestions on how I could test this? Lemon juice and dulce de leche? Vinegar?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #16
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My folks are from Argentina. Here's how my mom makes Dulce de Leche:

- Take a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk. Throw the can in a pot of boiling water for 3 hours (you'll need to keep adding water to the boiling pot).

- Let it cool. Open the can and try to not eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
jordanpace
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 34

curious to see if anyone made this beer. I am planning on making a dulce de leche beer here soon... any advice?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Beerens
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have the recipe written and I just keeping putting it off because of the levels of fat in the dulce de leche. It just makes me nervous. I will make this my next beer and let you know. Chau!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
marmot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Guys! This is my first post on the forum. I usually lurk, but figured I'd speak up for this niche topic. I'm new to homebrewing (six 5 gal bottlings so far), so take it with a grain of salt.
I' m currently midway through second fermentation on my second cider. I wanted to infuse a caramel flavor into it and tried a couple attempts. I started with 4 Gal of UV filtered non-preservative cold pressed cider with 16 oz of a product called 'boiled cider' (essentially apple maple syrup - find it on amazon). To this add 1.5 tablespoon pectin enzyme a double pitch of champagne yeast. In the first week it dropped from SG 1.058 to 1.020. At this point it was going into dormancy at 55 deg F and running through its initial fermentable carbos. Time for the caramel. First I tried making a full fat Dulce De Leche then 'fat washing' it with everclear, there was no seperation so I ended up with some highly alcoholic ice cream topping (lemonade out of lemons ehh). So I went and bought a can of fat free condensed milk, boiled it for 4 hours just like the prior, cut 50/50 with hot water to easy integration into the hard cider. Poured and fermentation quickly picked up. I'm three days after the introduction of the Dulce, the carboy is bubbling every 4 seconds or so. I haven't noticed any floating 'skum' which would indicate fats or curdling, so it's well incorporated. I taste tested and thought we're on the right past but it's too weak as far as flavor and alcohol. I think I'm going to add one additional can of fat free Dulce and perhaps additional boiled cider. It's a lot of lactose from my understanding, but I kinda like the idea of residual lactose which doesn't ferment to have carry over sweetness (assuming this doesn't start bursting bottles a couple months after capping). I'll keep this thread appraised if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the initial dialogue that got me here. Cheers!
Blaise

394952_637025553821_415114421_n.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
jsled
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Any updates on either the sweet stout or the cider?

Quick Reply