Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Giant "starter" - worth washing the yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Giant "starter" - worth washing the yeast?

As an attempt to get more bang for my buck, i collected an extra 3gal runnings from a dopplebock a few weeks back. I just transferred to a keg to carb, and long story short, I'm thinking I might have ended up with a giant "starter", as this isn't a very tasty experiement at this point.

My question is, though, based on the following information, is it worth going through the trouble in washing the yeast cake (WY2206 - Bavarian Lager) to store up some viable & healthy mason jar samples? The batch went from 1.022 down to 1.009 at 55F in one month. Is such a low, atypical SG not condusive to healthy yeast growth for future use?

Thanks in advance.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The low OG of the batch won't hurt the yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Hombru1
Recipes 

I wash and store some yeast anytime I can. It will keep very well in the fridge but freezing it in 15% glycerol works the best. I have about ten strains in the freeze and am always looking for a new one. Microbiologists have wierd hobbies, I am a yeast collector.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cool, but i'm worried about the low gravity of the batch i will be collecting from. From what i understand, the lower gravity is condusive to growth vs. feeding, so i would assume it might actually be better (with relation to less stress on the yeast).

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Quick Reply