Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
So I was going to try and use gelatin to clear up a American wheat. It's been in the primary for about a month and I plan on just racking it to bottles for conditioning. When exactly should I introduce the gelatin to obtain clarity of the brew?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you don't plan to secondary I would put it in the primary.

I have used some finnings before, but not gelatin so maybe others will have different advice.

If you don't plan to secondary I would put it in the primary.

I have used some finnings before, but not gelatin so maybe others will have different advice.

When I first started brewing I was taught that the secondary could be good for both the clarity and flavor development. With that in mind the two times I've used gelatin I did use it in secondary with great results. I know many many people here don't believe in secondary for anything other than oaking/fruit additions.

You'll want to have one pack of unflavored gelatin which I think it's about 1 tbsp. get a small microwave safe bowl and heat like 1 cup of water in small intervals until it's at 100* then mix the gelatin in. Then add it to wherever you chose.

I've heard of people doing this in primary with good results so ultimately it's up to you. Some will even tell you that if you want super clear beer you should follow gelatin by cold crashing the beer.

- ISM NRP

First of all, why in the world are you trying to clear a wheat beer? They're supposed to be hazy. It's a characteristic of the style. Wheat ales and stouts are the two styles I don't bother using gelatin with.

That said, the way I use gelatin is directly in the primary, as follows. I move the fermenter into the fridge to cold-crash. A day later, I take 1 cup of cold tap water and sprinkle 1 tbsp of gelatin on top of it. I cover it with sanitized foil and leave it for 20 minutes to "bloom." Then I microwave it - 20 seconds at a time - until the temperature hits 150° F, then stir it to ensure everything is completely dissolved. You don't want to go any higher than that temperature, and certainly don't boil it.

I then just pour it into the (cold) beer and leave it for another 3-4 days before racking to a keg.

I've read 1tbsp could be enough to worsen chill haze, though I can't speak to the mechanism for that. 1tsp does wonders, though. Clears the beer and firms the trub.

I've read 1tbsp could be enough to worsen chill haze, though I can't speak to the mechanism for that. 1tsp does wonders, though.

What do you mean worsen the chill haze?

Well, worsen it. Presumably by introducing protein (gelatin is a protein, though it should all coagulate). Just something someone said and it stuck with me, seems unlikely really--even if you used a pound I imagine you'd just wind up with Gummi Beers. On via phone now, might find the thread where it was said later. Again, grain of salt though, if others say 1tbsp it's likely fine, I just wouldn't go to town. Kombat's instructions are otherwise 100% consistent with what I do, except I stir gently after adding to primary (one or two long stirs).

Do you need to cold crash to have gelatin filter the brew? Or could you add the gelatin mixture at room temp or about 70f then bottle condition and get the same clearing affects?

The cold crash makes the proteins gelatin binds to more "accessible" to it--the gelatin just works better if you get it colder. It still helps at room temp if you don't have a means to chill your wort, it's just not as good.

You down south? Otherwise, you should be able to chill it just fine this time of year...

No I'm in CO but was just questioning because the fridge I was thinking of cold crashing it in is down some stairs and needs to be emptied out to make room.

First of all, why in the world are you trying to clear a wheat beer? They're supposed to be hazy.

The OP wanted AMERICAN wheat, not a German hefe.

Let's open BJCP 6D guidelines for that style:

"Appearance: Usually pale yellow to gold. Clarity may range from brilliant to hazy with yeast..."

Even hefes tend to be clear before you hefe them up. See Weihenstephaner, it's almost lagerlike until you swirl. I think most people just don't see the point, understandably.

No I'm in CO but was just questioning because the fridge I was thinking of cold crashing it in is down some stairs and needs to be emptied out to make room.

Gotcha. I love winter because I don't have to worry about that. Though I do wonder how long until some bear finds my buckets.

I started my cold crash today. I was going to put the gelatin in later tonight and give it 4 days.

I will still be able to bottle condition after cold crashing right? I have read that there will be enough yeast to carbonate the brew in a bottle after cold crashing

Yep. I feel it takes a couple of days longer to carb, though (say 14 instead of 7-10).

I admit am an impatient fellow and I test bottles soon enough to drink semicarbed beer, sometimes... semicarbed, sweet beer. Yech.

First of all, why in the world are you trying to clear a wheat beer? They're supposed to be hazy. It's a characteristic of the style. Wheat ales and stouts are the two styles I don't bother using gelatin with.

That said, the way I use gelatin is directly in the primary, as follows. I move the fermenter into the fridge to cold-crash. A day later, I take 1 cup of cold tap water and sprinkle 1 tbsp of gelatin on top of it. I cover it with sanitized foil and leave it for 20 minutes to "bloom." Then I microwave it - 20 seconds at a time - until the temperature hits 150° F, then stir it to ensure everything is completely dissolved. You don't want to go any higher than that temperature, and certainly don't boil it.

I then just pour it into the (cold) beer and leave it for another 3-4 days before racking to a keg.

one good reason is because it is an American wheat which can be clear and brite. cloudy is a characteristic of german hefe not necessarily American wheat. although they can be cloudy too.

What would happen if gelatin was added to bottling bucket at the same time the priming sugar is added? Ultimately, won't clearing happen in the bottles the same way it would have happened in the fermenter?

It might to some extent. I have noticed batches where I used a little more gelatin seem to have firmer bottle sediment, which is nice.

I gather there's sort of a clock ticking once you add the gelatin before it solidifies, though, and it may or may not grab all the things you want it to grab in the meantime--which I think is the point of having it as cold as possible so the haze is "accessible". So maybe if you're bottling cold? Or crash them as quickly as possible? Worth experimenting, maybe.

Latest posts

Back